Which GPS module to get.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
HighFrequency

Which GPS module to get.

Post by HighFrequency »

In April, I will be starting a my final project at college. It will include GPS navigation. I have done some looking, and have an idea of what I need:
  • 1) Approximately 3-5 meter precision (better if possible)
    2) Light weight
    3) Low power consumption (< 30mA)
I have looked at Semtech and Rikaline (in particular the Rikaline GPS-22). Does anyone have any experience using these parts, or parts like them? Are they easy to inteface with? How much external hardware do they require.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mike
There is only one correct answer, mine.
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

no one?
There is only one correct answer, mine.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

The SiRF III technology chipset is one of the more popular. This is used in low power devices such as PocketPC and Palm situations. These GPS units are also implemented in a GPS MOUSE. This "MOUSE" plugs into the USB port of a laptop or something like a CARPUTER. The chipset can from a cold start find where it is at within about 45 seconds.

Check for GPS EVALUATION as search terms in GOOGLE. There is an evaluation board in the physical magazine but those are about fifty miles from me right now so I don't have the page number or company name. From eBay you can get a GPS MOUSE for about $40 with test software.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
stevech

Post by stevech »

And Garmin's OEM products. Easy to use. They look like a hockey puck.

some on eBay or GPSworld.com
cdenk

Post by cdenk »

I think without getting into the high precision receivers like land surveyors use, that kind of precision is too tight, in particular for individual readings. Some handheld units are able to average numerous readings to improve the accuracy. Once the European system is up and running, accuracy is said to improve. WAAS helps, but usually requires the separate antenna.My current handheld is a Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C which will get me repeat location (cemetary headstones) some months later within +/-25'. Previous units include the Lowrance Airmap 500 and 100, and have had from the earliest Aviation panel mounts to the latest Garmin 430. Things have improved, but not quite there yet.

You don't say what you want the end result to be? Might investigate the latest agricultural units for ideas. It apprears they are getting better precison. And of course there is DGPS where a nearby ground station (portable) acts a a satelite and improves accuracy much.