Electronics World ceased publication?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Timothy Rasch

Electronics World ceased publication?

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi ,I am a Nuts/Volts subscriber and I also bought Electronics World on the newstand for $9/issue in Green Bay,Wisconsin. I am still waiting for the Electronics World October issue !!!!
I went to Electronics World favorites list today and it says "page can't be found" so I assume their out of business. I hope I am wrong . They had good engineering articles. Tim Rasch [email protected]
hp

Post by hp »

I just tried searching on google for 'Electronics World Magazine' and got the link http://www.electronicsworld.co.uk/elect ... efault.asp which still works.

The news stand may have stopped ordering that magazine due to lack of interest, etc.

Harrison
Timothy Rasch

Electronics World

Post by Timothy Rasch »

I guess the supplier dropped the magazine to the newstand. It was expensive to buy [almost $9.00 each w/o tax]
Tim Rasch [email protected]
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

On a related note, it's getting more and more difficult to find N&V/Servo in the book stores... Make, Circuit Celler and EPE are much easier to find. I'm not sure what the difference is between those mags and N&V/Servo. However, one thing that might be note worthy is that N&V and Servo are in the dwindling section related to electric trains and radio, while those other magazines are in the computer section.

One suggestion is to start publishing content to the web... nothing that would replace the demand for the mag, but enough stuff to make people want to come to the website. Maybe a bi-weekly column or article that has real content for *free* (no registration required, simply free of charge). Something with mass-market appeal. Kind of like how Parts Express shows step-by-step how to make a speaker or amplifier in each of their catalogs. By making N&V and Servo websites a popular destination where people come looking frequently it will allow better exposure to the magazines and give people a taste of what they'll find in the pages. In essence, an avenue for you to advertise your own product for relatively low cost.

An easy way to do this would be to publish an article (again, think mass-market appeal) from the N&V or Servo from a month back. The key to web content is being "fresh" not stale. Nor do you want to publish a PDF of a past issue, although that's fine too... you want something that people can make NOW and that people can link to and blog about.

I think Make has done a stellar job with their "make blog" however they're just linking to other sites content. Better yet would be to have the content people want (although aggregating others content is ok too, especially since Make's target is much more broad than these mags). What they're doing is attracting eyes to their name and saying, "if you like this, you'll like 'make' as well."
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

I don't think the 'Electronics World' is for the world, only UK. I used to subscribe on it, but the P&P abroad is insane. You get it for $90 in UK and I had to pay $160 in Norway, for one year.

If you compare with Elektor Electronics, you only pay $25 for the extra P&P ($82 vs $107).

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)