help with x-10

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
climoby

help with x-10

Post by climoby »

i have been using x-10 for a while now but i have been very intrested in building some of my own stuff. i know you can get interface modules but does any one have a simple and i mean as simple as possible ciruit for transmitting and reciving x10. some thing than can use the BS2 x10 send command. if possible the ciruits should be seperated or should be possible to build them seperatly.
thanx
sam
Calcbert

Re: help with x-10

Post by Calcbert »

You should look into the PL513 and TW523 modules if you haven't already. They're pre-made circutis for doing the X-10 interfacing, but I doubt it's real easy to couple signals onto the power lines yourself.<p>You'll probably need a microcontroller or a good deal of logic & timing circuitry to interface though, as it requires data transmission triggered by a signal generated by the module.
climoby

Post by climoby »

thanx for your respond but i already knew about those modules. expensive and too large. need something smaller that i can build.
any ideas.
sam
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Check with BSR [England] the originator of the system, some 30 years back.
amuron

Post by amuron »

Building your own X10 interface is a real chore. The timing issues and zero crossing can be tricky, but the safety aspects are perhaps the worst. Remember you have hundreds of amps of peak current capability. A minor circuit error or part failure results in a charred mess. Been there done that. You also need to take into account surge voltages and increase current due to line sag. Both can be a bugger to deal with, as typical surge protection scheme kill the carrier as well.<p>I'll see if I can find some old schematics. Another possibility is to use another protocol for carrier current communications. Then you can run the data transfer rates way up, and circuit examples are plentiful. Most of the time, the line components are explicitly called out, and as such, most of the safety engineering is done.<p>Ron
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

This is one of the best X-10 sites I know of<p>http://www.geocities.com/IDO_Bartana/<p>it has theory, projects and modifications for 110 to 220V use. Protocols for the carrier current and RF systems are explained. Schematics are also posted for many modules etc.