A Plea to all members

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bodgy

A Plea to all members

Post by bodgy »

Please please don't respond to the Spamerators that are appearing here.

1. I doubt that they come back to read it, and if they do it'll be just to see how many people clicked on their topic. If they have access to the weblogs of the sites they refer to, then they'll know how many visits have come via this sites URL.

2. It makes extra work for Al and myself when deleting the topics - yes we can do delete topic, but we then can't check IP's etc.

3. If the need to answer is so great, life isn't worth living without offering them a serve, - then PM them ! - You might even end up annoying them if they get notification emails concerning PM's.

Many thanks

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
zotdoc

spammers

Post by zotdoc »

Bodgy - for all of us luddites out here, what does it mean to PM the spammers and how do we do it?Thanks - Zotdoc
philba

Post by philba »

pm == private message it's pretty well burried in the forum but it is there.

PM them all you want but do you seriously think they will read it and do anything?? I can't imagine they care about some one's opinion.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Automatons don’t have a brain, as in no sense no feeling, just post your trash and hope you catch some guppies.

Who is stupider, the Advertiser or the sheep that follows?

They don’t know, that’s rocket science.
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

Pardon me Chris, but what the -insert appropiate expletive here- are you talking about? Make sense man!
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Over your head huhh?

Give your self a few years to wake up, grow up and stop denying reality, if the sheep’s pen doesn’t consume you first.

What planet are you from, “Junk Advertisiaâ€
philba

Post by philba »

wow. it just doesn't get any better than this.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if this thread - along with this posting - goes away. BUT.... I'm dying to know how I can catch guppies by posting trash to an automaton :smile:
I hereby promise to do my best to be sure my next post has something to do with our hobby!
Dave
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi folks,

I cant believe how much the spam has increased recently.
I delete two topics and two hours later there are two more.
Somebody must have our number.
I'm thinking maybe there is something else we can do too like
make the registration impossible unless done by a human.
Any other ideas?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Seems like I registered in another forum that also uses phpBB and they required you enter a confriming code that is displayed in image form. Their forum doesn't seem to have spam. Does this forum do that for new registrants?
"if it's not another it's one thing."
philba

Post by philba »

I think the best way to do this is to moderate first time posters. some sites require a member's first post to be approved. Once approved, they can freely post. Given the rate of new members posting, this is probably not a large burden - probably less than seek-n-destroy on the spam postings.

or you could have an "introduction" section where all posters must post a short introduction before being allowed in. I suppose that could be automated, though.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Guppies are easy to catch, they stare blankly at the adds while you sneak up behind them and sell them your trash.

They call it Advertising and some actually believe there is a client waiting to be bored to death by such activities.
ku7485

Post by ku7485 »

I do have to admit, I've never seen this much spam on a forum before. It's more likely people doing this to the forums, than a machine.
jimandy wrote:Seems like I registered in another forum that also uses phpBB and they required you enter a confriming code that is displayed in image form. Their forum doesn't seem to have spam. Does this forum do that for new registrants?
They do have confirmation codes for new registrants, but spam is still coming. As I said earlier, it's more likely the work of people posting spam, not machines...
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

KU7485 >
As I said earlier, it's more likely the work of people posting spam, not machines...
Well if it's real live people, to make it worth their while they must be spamming other sites and if they have to go through the tedious registration process, image code and all then I wonder if they're picking forums based on some demographic - say, like N&V, mostly male; high intelligence on average (with a few notable exceptions), and a lot of curiosity.
Or maybe they just picked us because our name has the word "Nuts" in it. :razz:
"if it's not another it's one thing."
stevech

Post by stevech »

my wife likes Spam.
The kind you eat.