LCD pannel retrofit to TV or monitor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
markcox

LCD pannel retrofit to TV or monitor

Post by markcox »

I have a nice working display from a dell laptop its a 15" LCD but the laptop itself is toast. Is there a way to use the lcd pannel as a tv or computer monitor? I hate to have it sitting there not used. It has a small 30 pin connector (female). Anyone ahve any info on doing this? <p>Thanks
Mark
Externet

Re: LCD pannel retrofit to TV or monitor

Post by Externet »

Hi Mark.
It can be a nightmare getting the thing to work as video; the availability of specifications for the display; dedicated parts in single quantities, layout of surface mount board, test equipment, plus blood, sweat and tears...
It will cost at least 5 times than buying a video display. Welcome to wasteland.
The manufacturer of some video conversion/processing chips is Averlogic. There are kits to do what you want, more expensive than a brand sparkling new video display.
I have a dozen too...
Miguel :(
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
markcox

Post by markcox »

Thanks for the info, I was hoping it was an easy to do but thanks for the help landfill it goes :) <p>Mark
jwax

Post by jwax »

Kindly dispose of properly! Better yet, donate it to a school. Maybe some young budding technician will discover a way to make it live again!
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

you can look on sites such as ebay or just search for a driver card for it, but it isn't gonna be cheap (probably). <p>Tear apart the broken laptop. is the vid card seperate or on the mainboard?<p>i feel your pain :) . i've got a nice 12.5 inch screen from an ibm thinkpad that works but the controller was too expensive.<p>-Mike
kadams4458

Post by kadams4458 »

Argh! Don't throw it away! No wonder I have never been able to find replacement displays for any of my broken laptops!<p>I've a few Compaqs, Dells, HP's, that are in need of decent display panels to make them portable again. (Laptops are kinda hard to haul around when they require an external monitor.)
markcox

Post by markcox »

I do still have the video card from the laptop but who know what the pins goto?<p>Your right probably not fit for Landfill but there isn't a recycling place anywhere near me that handels that stuff. If someone is in need its a samsung tft LCD LT150X2-124 From a DELL Insprion 7000 <p>Mark