Barking Dog

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I too questioned whether noise will quiet a dog (but not out loud, before I just answered the question without commentary) I guess the assumption is based on the anti bark collar devices which do seem to work (I don't know how well though) but in this case the source of the noise is not as close as the collar. The assumption may not hold true.

I think the owners need to give that bored dog something to do besides agressively guard the property among other things. Unfortunately some people aren't good with young dogs and would be better off with a quiet 8 10 year old dog.
Bern

Post by Bern »

Well, I don’t want to hit him with something that is going to cause pain, or something bad. I hope to cause a little discomfort for a few seconds at the time of barking. Just enough to get his attention, and maybe he will connect the discomfort with excessive barking. I figured I would have a remote control so I can trigger it when he is just barking for no apparent reason. If there is something going on that he should bark at, of course I would not enable the system. If I wanted to cause pain, or get mean, there are a lot of ways I could get his attention. I like dogs, and grew up on a farm where we always had a dog around. We never had problems with them barking hour after hour, just to hear their head rattle.
bigkim100

Post by bigkim100 »

Well, Im glad that you dont wish to cause him pain....but everything that Ive seen posted, or have read, has said that when bugged with ultrasonic frequencies, dogs respond by barking even more.
Think about it...if a dog is predesposed to barking anyway, doesnt it make sense that if he gets whammed with a blast, his response is going to bark his head off at it.
I have a Ultrasonic pest repeller that you are supposed to wear on your belt, and whenever I turn it on...my Lab barks her head off at it....and she NEVER barks, unless she really upset. We have actually gone out of our way to TRAIN our dog not to bark, if she wants in from the back yard she gives a little RUFF....and will only bark if we ignore her, or dont hear her the first time, or the kids are playing with her.
....think about it
Kim..The man with the cute little girls name...and Frankensteins face and body.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

not sure how to spell this plant, but difembocia or something like that... I understand if mixed with something they like causes dogs to go silent... losing their bark box?... have to research first to make sure that's all it did, but someone told me if an animal eats this leaf, they lose their voice box... silence? something to think about, a barkless dog, mouth opening, no noise emitting?... geesh, maybe a wife too?.. ha... terrible thoughts huh...
philba

Post by philba »

I think you mean dieffenbachia (dif-en-bach-ia) also called dumb cane for the reason that it causes mouth and throat swelling and sometimes loss of voice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieffenbachia

I'm no PETA kind of guy but it's still poisoning.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

If the dog is near, like your fence line, ground peppers and pepper spray work well and aren’t harmful to the animal other than discomfort.

I grind my own chilli powder [habeneros] and use a grinder with a wet cloth over the grinder so I can stay in the room.

A simple blast from a air hose full of powder will keep him at bay for a while, especially if you use it to train him.

Bark, spray.

But it does take an effort.
bigkim100

Post by bigkim100 »

aWhat everyone has failed to mention is that this plant can cause death as well, causing the back of the throat to swell shut.
God help you if a stupid little kid comes along and chews on a leaf.
God help you if a dog comes along and eats some as well, causing death....either way...youll be open to a nice big lawsuit.
philba

Post by philba »

bigkim100 wrote:aWhat everyone has failed to mention is that this plant can cause death as well, causing the back of the throat to swell shut.
God help you if a stupid little kid comes along and chews on a leaf.
God help you if a dog comes along and eats some as well, causing death....either way...youll be open to a nice big lawsuit.
what's your citation on that (death). wikipedia doesn't mention it and I've never heard that before. It's a common enough houseplant.

I didn't say that poisoning is a good thing and I fail to see how my comments could be construed as a recommendation. It being bad should be self-evident. Hell, if I was to suggest poisoning - I'd certainly recommend something that would work better.

But let's be clear on this - poisoning is unethical, illegal and just plain stupid.

By the way, spraying the dog with chili powder is also asking for trouble. If I saw some one messing with my dog on my property, they'd get a visit from the police.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Dream on...

Your property is yours to do with as you see fit, and pepper is not illegal, immoral, or even bad.

I eat it every day, choke on the fumes, and no one not even a moron politician in DC can tell you what to do with this material.

Maybe Home land security will deem it a terrorist act, as they have nothing better to do with YOUR money or time?

Open your pea brain some time in this life time?

Small thoughts bring on troubles, not cures.

PC is for fools and morons.

Sounds like your “Conserving your Brainâ€
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hey, guys, I’m just looking for some thoughts on how to discourage the neighbors’ dog from barking, hour after hour for apparently no reason. Don’t want to “hurtâ€
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Other than something that causes discomfort to the animal, I can't see where electronics could come in to it - unless perhaps some sort of visual thing that stops dogs in their tracks - maybe a bit of Meatloaf played at annoying neighbour volume might work :???:

On a more practical note, what is probably required is something that annoys the dogs owner, like a sharp pain to the neck (or other areas) - it might actually incite the owner to get professional training for their hound.

After all it is rarely the animals fault it misbehaves in human terms, but the owner for not training it properly when it was still a puppling.

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
bigkim100

Post by bigkim100 »

what's your citation on that (death). wikipedia doesn't mention it and I've never heard that before. It's a common enough houseplant.

This is where havining a wife that is a PHD comes in handy...shes the one that mentioned that certain strains of this plant have the ability to swell the throat shut...not all versions of the plant do this...no matter what the online encyclodedia says...the medical references say differently. And like anything having to do with chemical reactions and humans...different people will have different reactions.
Even if you use pepper spray on your property, you can still be arrested for abusing an animal...or human for that matter

I still doubt that any of the suggested ways will stop a dog that is already predisposed to barking.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

The dog whistle "pipe organ" DOES NOT WORK! I tried this 25 to 30 years ago. It was a joke. The whistle, for one, is silent to humans only on TV.

The reason the dog is outside at 2AM is so the owners can sleep. They don't want the dog messing in the house nor do they want to get up to let them out. Thus I doubt talking to the neighbor is going to help.

The owners COULD fix this problem with training. A shock collar for barking will train a dog to stop. But obviously the owners HAVE to be aware of the problem but don't give a damn.

I feel for you. Law enforcement cannot do much. The owners are not very good pet owners as I know many dogs that don't bark like this. My neighbor has two dogs and they are very nice well mannered animals. But they sometimes watch relatives dogs. These dogs are very ill tempered little beasts. A couple weeks ago I was working on my satellite dish. The neighbor let the guest dogs out on long leashes. They immediately ran toward me clotheslining themselves on their own leash. Still they did not stop barking. The neighbor yelled at them to no avail. I noted the wind was blowing toward their yard. I got my metal outdoor fireplace out and filled it with cardboard box remanents and old phone books and started a nice fire. I "accidentally" left bubble wrap in one of the boxes. This made a sick smell that blew toward the dogs. Soon they stopped barking at me and ran to the back door yelping to get in. I don't think lighting a fire in a firepit or outdoor fireplace is practical (I was outside and it was relatively easy at the time). Possibly a couple "smoke balls" triggered electronically would be interesting. These are harmless toys and relatively cheap. Here are what I mean:

An ignitor for model rocket engines should be able to light these off. Just be sure the wind is blowing the right direction. This does not harm anyone but will irritate the dogs; possibly scaring them. These are safe enough as well as I played with them as a kid. Come to think about it "Black Cats" going off might be fun as well. Make sure the lights are off in your house. Set off the "Black Cats". Wait until your neighbor turns on his/her lights then turn on your lights. Head out the back door trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
philba

Post by philba »

bigkim100 wrote:This is where havining a wife that is a PHD comes in handy...shes the one that mentioned that certain strains of this plant have the ability to swell the throat shut...not all versions of the plant do this...no matter what the online encyclodedia says...the medical references say differently. And like anything having to do with chemical reactions and humans...different people will have different reactions.
Even if you use pepper spray on your property, you can still be arrested for abusing an animal...or human for that matter

I still doubt that any of the suggested ways will stop a dog that is already predisposed to barking.
that's good to know though I'd bet that as a poison, it's not super effective.

We do agree on the point of animal abuse. Unfortunately there are some people that think it's ok to do that sort of thing. Under some misguided philosophy that "it's their property" (I still don't get that). Even if the dosing happened on their property. Like I said before, anyone who did that to me would be getting a visit from the police. I'd also keep an eagle eye on a neighbor that clearly has no ethical values - 4 channel digital recorders aren't that expensive any more and I'd be very happy to provide video evidence against them.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

One method I've heard about, and is supposedly effective for nocturnal barkers, is to call them on the phone while it is happening and let them know about it. Nice cheerful voice at 3AM, or whenever.

Brrrrring!
"Hello?"
"Your dog is barking" click