Barking Dog

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Facts and not wives tales should be sought.

Pepper spray [oleoresin capsicum] is biodegradable meaning it will disappear over time.

Heavy usage near your property line or fence [not the dog it self] will discourage his presence near your boundaries.

The heavy presence [in your yard] of fine habanero powder will also discourage many animals from loitering, especially if its in the air!

The use of either of these elements in your yard and on your property “not againstâ€
philba

Post by philba »

L. Daniel Rosa wrote:One method I've heard about, and is supposedly effective for nocturnal barkers, is to call them on the phone while it is happening and let them know about it. Nice cheerful voice at 3AM, or whenever.

Brrrrring!
"Hello?"
"Your dog is barking" click
I think this is effective and much more ethical than doing something to the dog.

by the way, before anyone takes the rather dubious advice to use a substance on the barking dog they should check local laws. I believe the laws are focussed on protection against imminent threat. so if you approach a barking dog and spray them, you fall outside that law and I would cheer the police as they write up a ticket.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

The problem in many dog annoyance cases is not a dog that barks when the owner is present, but rather when the owner is absent. The owner leaves the house, the dog barks, the owner returns. In the dog's mind his owner has returned because he (the dog) barked. Doesn't matter that it was 30 minutes or 4 hours, the owner did return didn't he, therefore barking equals owner returns.
"if it's not another it's one thing."