Question about the CD back-issues (Servo, N&V)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dosbomber

Question about the CD back-issues (Servo, N&V)

Post by Dosbomber »

I'm looking at replacing my space-expensive paper copies with the CD versions now available. I REALLY like the PDF format for magazines, but for magazines with projects in them that require support files (either source code, PCB patterns, or whatever), are they included with the CD? Or is it exclusively a reproduction of the printed magazine?

TIA,
Dosbomber
Janitor Tzap

Re: Question about the CD back-issues (Servo, N&V)

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Dosbomber wrote:I'm looking at replacing my space-expensive paper copies with the CD versions now available. I REALLY like the PDF format for magazines, but for magazines with projects in them that require support files (either source code, PCB patterns, or whatever), are they included with the CD? Or is it exclusively a reproduction of the printed magazine?

TIA,
Dosbomber
Welcome to the club.....

The Only Issues that are currently out on CD-ROM from Nuts&Volts are 2004 & 2005.

Mean while, I've been scanning and burning my old issues to CD-ROM's myself.
Only I am missing the Sept 96 Issue!:sad:
Thus, my posting in the "Up For Grabs Forum."
{You wouldn't happen too have that Issue would you?}

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Dosbomber

Post by Dosbomber »

Sorry, '96 pre-dated my interest in electronics, I was exclusively an IT guy way back then. :)

I also looked into the scanning-and-burning process, since I already scan all my financial stuff, but scanning full pages at a decent resolution * that many pages * that many magazines... ouch.

And yeah, I know the CDs only go back so far in time, but what I'd really like to know, thinking ahead a few years, will the support files still be available, say, 10 years from now? I'd rest easier knowing that everything I'd ever need to reproduce the projects in the articles is on the CD the articles are contained on.

I suppose I could get the support files myself and build my own CDs with both the PDF magazines and the support files, but that's a fair amount of file mining for my schedule. :/
Dosbomber
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Dosbomber wrote:Sorry, '96 pre-dated my interest in electronics, I was exclusively an IT guy way back then. :)
Rats!:sad:
Dosbomber wrote: I also looked into the scanning-and-burning process, since I already scan all my financial stuff, but scanning full pages at a decent resolution * that many pages * that many magazines... ouch.

And yeah, I know the CDs only go back so far in time, but what I'd really like to know, thinking ahead a few years, will the support files still be available, say, 10 years from now? I'd rest easier knowing that everything I'd ever need to reproduce the projects in the articles is on the CD the articles are contained on.

I suppose I could get the support files myself and build my own CDs with both the PDF magazines and the support files, but that's a fair amount of file mining for my schedule. :/

Well the smaller size that they when't too, aren't that bad to scan in.
But the older format magazine has been taking up alot of time.
I have to scan the top and bottom of a page.
Then find a good stiching point to put them together.
As, well, as matching the brightness and contrast of the both top and bottom.
Then crop off excess parts, clean up pages, getting rid of wasted space for image storage.
Then burn all 12 months onto one CD-Rom.:roll:

Well So far, I've been able to cram the one years worth onto a single cd.
But, I running into the problem with LASER ROT.
The CD's I burned first have been showing signs of data loss.
Thus, I've gone back and re-burned two.

I've even had some old Stamped CD's that are loosing data on them as well.:sad:

Signed: Janitor Tzap