infrared thermometer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zotdoc

infrared thermometer

Post by zotdoc »

I have looked at a lot of sites but haven't found a circuit diagram for an infrared thermometer. I have found a bunch of them already made for from 35.00 300.00 depending on range and quality. Does any one out there think one could be made for less money and even if not, can you direct me to a link that would have a circuit schematic?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Can one be made for less money? Yes, I've seen them for sub $20; no idea how good they are. Can YOU (or any home brewer) make one for less than $30? I don't know but think NOT.

Here is how they work:
http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/infraredt ... =looksmart

It is sad to say but most projects cannot be built for less than the throw away mass produced items. I was watching some cooking show and even they used an IR monitor to determine the temperature of a frying pan.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
josmith

Post by josmith »

HF has one for ten bucks. I don't think you're going to beat that.
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

Thanks for the replies. Great site Jollyroger! I think you are right about building one, it will cost more than what I could by the parts one at a time for. I may try to build one anyway just for the heck of it.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Most IR thermometers use the thermo-pile [low mass] plus the op amp to translate and read the circuit.