satalite advice needed...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

satalite advice needed...

Post by dacflyer »

i have a old c-band dish i still use from time to time..not much left on the analog band, but shop at home channels and religion..sometimes a wild feed or NASA live.

i know i can upgrade the system to digital , but not ready to yet..

the small dish , direct tv is not my cup of tea either..

1 thing i'd like to know is.. is there any system out there that can be able to pick up stations from europe? i really miss tv from germany / austria
RTL , super RTL and a few other channels.. i seen over there their satalite dishes point really low to the horizion. i think about 15 degrees above the horizion

does anyone know if its possible to get euro channels inthe states ?
there used to be 1 on c-band, but it was just news, and hardly ever in german, ( deutcheswelle II ) it sucked :P

another question,, do satalites orbit the earth ( spin around us? )
or do they track us? ( follow earths orbit , staying in place ) ?

currious, i seen something fly thru the sky almost the same time each night. and almost the same area .. discovered it one night looking to the stars while floating in the pool... i seen it pass, it was a golden shimmer, for about 10 seconds and thenit went out again... i am thinging.perhaps a rotating satalite, and the sun reflected off a part of it, and no i do not think it was a UFO :P
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The communications satellites orbit the Earth, the altitude of the orbit has a period of 24 hours, so they always appear to be in the same place (geosync).

You might have seen a satellite, but it wouldn't have been a geosync bird (much too far), it would have been a low Earth orbit satellite like GPS or maybe ISS (International Space Station).
Dale Y
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

They are in one place [geo] and about 24k miles up.

You cant even see the European satellite from the US but their are some services that relay them over here for our viewing.

Check out......relay european satellite services for the us

http://www.satcoms.org.uk/teleports.asp

We provide comprehensive digital DTH services to the USA via Telstar-5 and AMC-4, to Europe via Hotbird-3, to Australia via Optus B3 and from USA to Europe via Telstar-12.

Amongst many....
jwax

Post by jwax »

Hey dac- Cover the dish with little 1 inch square mirrors, glued in place and make one helluva hot dog cooker! :cool:
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

If you have a C-Band receiver that still functions and have a C/Ku feedhorn there is a tremendous hobby you can start enjoying for about $50. This hobby is known as DVB or Digital Video Broadcasting. This is NOT for the plug and chug crowd. You have to know how to tune a dish and program satellites into a C-Band receiver extremely well. If you get a "modern" DVB receiver you can have it do the searching for you but it is, in my opinion, a bit harder to start out that way.

The DVB satellite feeds are many times FREE. You can get lots of distant smaller networks, a dozen former UPN/WB (I believe now it is CW), and many very low end cable stations. You won't be getting HBO or Skin er Cinemax. You will get PBS, Fox, and dozens upon dozens of Europe, Asian, Arabic, and similar stations. (Be ready to receive the word of God as well.) The big ones are Galaxy 10R and Intelsat T5. See these listings:

http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html

Anywhere you see the F symbol this is a KNOWN free channel. (A little secret: With a BLIND SCAN receiver there are MANY more free channels but I can't talk about those.) Hundreds of radio stations, network feeds, and even some things you wouldn't want your kids finding.

I will warn you now; this is NOT for the faint of heart. Unless you know how to tune and peak your own dish and how to program the C-Band analog receiver this is NOT a hobby for you. I put together and aligned my own analog systems. This was a piece of cake compared to getting my first digital signal to come in. With DVB you must juggle a number of things at once:

Peaking the dish on the center of the bird East to West
Peaking the dish up and down and its tracking
Peaking the skew just perfect
Adjusting the ANALOG receiver to a Horizontal or Vertical channel to change the polarizer.

Now that you have all of that programmed you can start working on the DVB receiver.

Set the receiver up to know the proper LNB frequency for the LO (on C-Band LNBs this is usually 5150MHz and on common Ku it is 10750MHz).

Set the Channel of the transponder you want to receive to the FREQUENCY of the transponder (see the links above)

Set the SR (symbol rate) and FEC (Forward Error Correction). Set the SID and VPID (if needed). Now you must scan the transponder and let the receiver load the channel list. You may have to tweak the skew and dish E W position while scanning. When I first set up my analog dish I had a picture the very first time I turned it on. (Usually you don't get this lucky but I did. And I can still remember the picture I saw.) With the digital it took me several tries over a few evenings before I got a lock and download a channel list.

I wish you luck if you decide to go this route. If you consider satellite a hobby as I do, you will likely have more fun with digital than you did with analog. If you want to sit back and watch TV, I suggest Dish or DirecTV.

BTW the shimmering satellite you describe sounds like an Iridium flare. See this: http://www.satobs.org/iridpix.html
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks for the info guys.. i mainly just wanted to know if theres a way to get any euro channels ,,,and if they'd be available on direct dish or c-band
i am sure it would all be digital as well,, wonder what the cost would be about for subscriptions..or if any were free..

i like satalite in europe,, you buy the system, and all is free to see, except for like pay per view stuff..

as for that streak i saw..i do not know if it was a flair. i seen it a few times in about the same area of sky...but haven't seen it lately.. do satalites rotate too? if they do that might be a possibility..maybe light reflecting off of a flat part?
anyway it was cool to see....wonder if i will see it again next year..
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

philba

Post by philba »

dacflyer wrote:as for that streak i saw..i do not know if it was a flair. i seen it a few times in about the same area of sky...but haven't seen it lately.. do satalites rotate too? if they do that might be a possibility..maybe light reflecting off of a flat part?
anyway it was cool to see....wonder if i will see it again next year..
It's quite possibly a sat. most likely iridium (remember them, the birds are still up there). this site: http://www.heavens-above.com/ will allow you to determine when you will see them. plug in your coordinates (or zip code, heh heh) and you will have more astro info than you need.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

interesting site...so i am guessing these flairs are light reflecting off the satalites then??

why are they called irridiums ??
ecerfoglio

Post by ecerfoglio »

dacflyer
why are they called irridiums ??

The system was called Iridium because it used as many satelites arround the earth as electrons in an iridium atom.

It is (was?) a satelite telephone comunications system with a constelation of low orbit satelites.
E. Cerfoglio
Buenos Aires
Argentina
philba

Post by philba »

it still exists but cell phones for penguins turned out to be a losing biz plan.

I believe the solar collectors create a large reflective surface area. Being in a LEO, they produce pretty good flares.

funny story, the name of the system was iridium because the plan was for 77 satellites in LEO. That's the atomic number for Iridium, hence the name. Unfortunately, as their financing slipped, they cut the number back to, I think, 59. Causing some pundit to quip that they should rename the system to "Praseodymium". just rolls of the tongue. heh heh
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks for the info guys......