Eton/Grundig S350 service manual or just schematic needed

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Timothy Rasch

Eton/Grundig S350 service manual or just schematic needed

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi, I found I can't order the Service manual from Radio Shack for Eton/Grundig S350. The problem is drifting on the am,sw bands especially the high frequency bands . I don't want to spend big money on this CHEEP radio [sold for $99.95]. Could anyone please send Me the service manual or the schematic in PDF for download? I would really appreciate it !!!!!! BTW I could use service tips for the S350 also for the drifting problems.
Tim Rasch [email protected]
cato

Grundig/Eton Three Drifty

Post by cato »

I don't have any documentation for you. However, I was recently shoping for a nice shortwave radio and so investigated the 350 (I like its looks). During my investigation I came across this review, that indicates that drift is a common problem with this radio:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-GrundigS350.htm

Here's the part that your post reminded me of:

SW - The S350 has inherited its looks from the Panasonic RF-2200, but it may have inherited a nickname from the old Swan Radio, a manufacturer of amateur equipment in the 60's. Back then, Swan had a transceiver called the 350. Because of significant drift problems, hams called it the Swan Three-Drifty. This nickname could fit the Grundig S350 as well.

There is also a yahoo news group started by a guy who felt ripped off by his purchase of the radio.... he took it apart and discusses the design...If I can find it again, I'll post a follow up message
cato

Grundig_Tecsun_Eton_garbage

Post by cato »

If this isn't the news group I remember, its similar:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig_T ... n_garbage/

Here's the description of the group:

Description

What is lacking, is an open forum to freely express frustrations with today's low-quality, over-hyped shortwave receivers (e.g., Grundig S350, SuperAdio, CCradio) and what improvements could be made to make LW/MW/SW listening more enjoyable. Postings to this group will not be moderated, so please, no "personal attacks", or vulgar language. Bring back the DX-440 !
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

I bought the Grundig S350 from a seller on Ebay for $74.00. I did not notice the drifting problem but I did notice a few annoyances:

1. The "heterodyne whistling" referred to in the review is actually generated right inside the radio. In effect, the radio is causing its own interference. The source of the interference is the circuitry used to light the digital display whether the light is on or off.

2. I found that, unlike the review says, my S350 eats batteries more often than you would expect from a portable radio. I could understand a 9V 006P running dry in a few days, but 4 alkaline "D" Duracells?

3. The FM is not stereo out of the earphone jack.

But it sounds fine and makes a good FM radio for the kitchen. Shortwave has changed since I was a kid. I found absolutely nothing interesting is left on the shortwave bands.

I think I'll visit that S350 newsgroup. I stopped reading newsgroups like sci.electronics.design because the people who post to newsgroups get so out of control with their off-topic ranting they remind me of monkeys
throwing feces at each other in the zoo.

Bob
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Thankfully that never happens here.

Tom
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

speaking of shortwave radios, and such,, i have here a really old german table top radio 3D Klang - 3035
its a nice set..but all you can get on them now days is am or fm, i love its rich sound and green tuning eye slit..

are the short wave radio stations going away more and more ?
i do not seem to find too many much any more...
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Dac

"are the short wave radio stations going away more and more ? i do not seem to find too many muc h any more..."

The maritime bands are still going strong all over the world. They operate in the 4 Mhz & 8 Mhz region. Their is still some activity down in the 2 Mhz region, even though much of that traffic went hi-band FM years ago. Much of the present Maritime bands operate single sideband, but that should be no problem for any respectable shortwave receiver.
The shortwave bands, especially in the 9 to 18 Mhz region are still as active as ever,however much of it is foreign countrys. Their are some of these that have English broadcasts, though.
And then there is a lot of DXing going on with the hams scattered across the bands
Also you can pick up a lot of the" good ol' boys" on 27 Mhz citizen band if thats to your liking.
cato

Post by cato »

dacflyer wrote:speaking of shortwave radios, and such,, i have here a really old german table top radio 3D Klang - 3035
its a nice set..but all you can get on them now days is am or fm, i love its rich sound and green tuning eye slit..

are the short wave radio stations going away more and more ?
i do not seem to find too many much any more...
This link provides a list of some english language broadcasts:

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.txt
sarahroxon

Re: Eton/Grundig S350 service manual or just schematic needed

Post by sarahroxon »

There's also a yahoo newsgroup formed by a guy who felt cheated when he bought the radio slope game. He disassembled it and discussed the design... I'll send a follow-up mail if I can locate it.