Radio Shack fires person with experience in Electronics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Timothy Rasch

Radio Shack fires person with experience in Electronics

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi , a Employee at Radio Shack that I knew had experience but was fired Thursday without notice. He reported to work a half hour early and got fired . I can't get over He being fired!!! Now the employees and the manager do Not have that experience. I have an idea the PUBLIC can try all over the country :
If the Public knows of experienced employees of Radio Shack being fired they should not go to that Radio Shack to give them Business !!!!!!
I dropped that Radio Shack store for Business. There are two left that I can go to in Green Bay,Wisconsin. Can any one give Me other ideas so the PUBLIC has power over Radio Shack? Maybe Radio Shack will change their mind about firing Employees with experience!!!!!?
Tim Rasch [email protected]
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

America doesn’t want educated people.

And besides China and Mexico will supply the rest of the sheep with what they need.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Maybe your friend was an experienced jerk? There is more to employment than just knowing the stuff.
"Who is John Galt?"
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

All radio shack does now is sell cell phones and crappy consumer electronics.

Maybe he wasn't a good phone salesman.
Timothy Rasch

Radio Shack fired experienced employee

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi, I don't agree with DRWHen. I am offended,the guy is a real nice person. He went through the kit building era like I did [in the mid 1960's]. I did some kitbuilding too ,with a difference ;I built a lot of circuits on perfboard from the schematics ,I still do today when the computer simulations DON'T work.That's how I learned Electronics good before I went to Devry Tech. in Chicago in the 1970's. See Robert A. Pease's book:Troubleshooting Analog Circuits. I agree with the other Guy that America don't care about knowledge anymore,also a fact people don't care about their Neighbors ,like everyone is in their own selfish world. What happened to the way People were in the 1960's real nice and helpfull and you could count on your neighbors if you needed help with something they could help you ? You can call America RobotAmerica or MachineAmerica,Enslaved America, it's NOT America anymore.
Tim Rasch [email protected]
[/i][/b]
Yerry

Post by Yerry »

Sorry, but in the work world, it's what the boss thinks that counts. As a former RS employee, SALES COUNT. You make X dollars per hour, plus commission, and they expect Y in sales. Don't make that X:Y ratio, you're gone.

As for "knowing electronics", I knew from day one that my experience didn't count, and that was 'way back in '84! My boss and coworkers would laugh about it almost every day. "Wow, that customer actually thought we were trained in electronics by RS!"

One question that I have: Why are you telling US about it? I mean, like, gosh, I'm sorry, a little bit, but maybe your friend doesn't want his plight advertised?

And Dr When didn't call your friend a jerk. He made a valid point-- takes more than electronics background to work at RS. Actually, he was SLIGHTLY off-- it doesn't count at all.
bigkim100

Post by bigkim100 »

Exactly how long are you guys going to live in the past??
THE RADIO SHACK THAT WE GREW UP WITH...KNEW, AND LOVED, IS NO MORE. They need someone with electronics knowledge, like the Walmart TV center needs electronic techs.

As far as Im concerned....RS has actually,unknowingly helped your friend out of a dead-end job.

There are TONS of jobs out there for electronics techs. I have NO DEGREE in electronics tech, NO official training....but I have been employed as a repair technician for the past 15 years solid, and just started a new repair tech job for 24.00 an hour, with 100% full health coverage. Sure...the guys here that have a degree probibly make that in their sleep. Considering I worked in the Film Industry for 20 years, (doing small electronics gigs on the side) then decided to turn my hobby, into a profession when things got a little slow...and Ive never looked back.
The only training that a guy needs to work at Radio Shack ...is a few months working at McDonalds.
Here in Canada, Radio Shack had such a bad reputation, and poor sales, that they finally gave up, rebranding all their stores as Circuit City, that bought out the chain. There is absolutely NO mention of Radio Shack anywhere in the stores...anywhere.

Hell, we've all been let go at one time or another from a job, and a lot probibly for a unknown, or silly reason. I hate to say it, but I doubt that you will have enough response from people here to sway the Head office of Radio Shack, since most intelligent people usually keep away from RS like the plague.
Considering its pre-Christmas rush...and most RS stores are literally begging for employees, it seems a bit strange that youir friend would suddenly be let go for absolutely no reason.
Kim..The man with the cute little girls name...and Frankensteins face and body.
Geoff

Nothing new

Post by Geoff »

I worked at Radio Shack 25 years ago. When I was interviewed, I was told that my experience and training in electronics was not wanted. They explained that they DID NOT WANT triained electronics people, because they tend to make the customers feel dumb. The only thing they wanted was sales experience and knowledge of the product line. Luckily, the store manager convinced the district manager to take a chance on me, as well as a couple other guys who knew electronics. We did just fine. One of the guys went on to be a store manager himself, but quit the corporate climb there, since they required him to work 60+ hours a week, and he decided that it just wasnt worth it.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

I agree with the other Guy that America don't care about knowledge anymore,also a fact people don't care about their Neighbors ,like everyone is in their own selfish world. What happened to the way People were in the 1960's real nice and helpfull [and high on pot] and you could count on your neighbors if you needed help with something they could help you ?
I don't mean to be offensive, but when an "edgimacated" grownup writes like this when trying to make a point about knowledge, I have to chuckle. :smile:
"Who is John Galt?"
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Sounds like you haven’t figured out the difference between corporations and America Yet? America still is the land of the free, until the jerks [Corporations] at the top turn this place into “Animal Houseâ€
stevech

Post by stevech »

the greedy executives of these corporations are greedy because the shareholders demand dividends and equity growth NOW, like next quarter or two.

So the execs get 2-3 year employment contracts with absurd incentives. They're not employees.

Who are the shareholders?

We, us, you, me.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

It is shameful that Radioshack inventory is not what it used to be.

I think most of us have purchased a good pile of parts over the years.

RS corporate does'nt conciders our past sales as significant enough to continue the parts and service as it did in the past.

The new owners of RS stores should have the right to follow the RS program and make money on toys and devices.

we have become obsolete and a nuisance to the efficiency of the new RS direction however N&V is much better way to keep the hobby market moving in a positive direction.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Its funny, I have always considered RS to sell overpriced junk (in regards to component parts), But one Item I can't get enough of are their small circuit boards that have traces for DIP sockets. I forget the P/N but they come in two small sizes. These are the greatest and seem to be available no where else.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Robert,

These prototype boards look identical to the Radio Shack versions - and they're cheaper (I haven't tried them myself):

http://www.elexp.com/pro_pb11.htm

http://www.elexp.com/pro_pb18.htm
Dosbomber

Radio Shack employees

Post by Dosbomber »

I had to go to a RS last week because nobody else seems to sell AAAA batteries around here. As soon as I walked in they asked me what I was looking for, and neither of them knew what a AAAA battery was. Fortunately (and ironically), they had them on the shelf right next to the counter.
Dosbomber