DON'T POST LONG URLs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
gadgeteer

DON'T POST LONG URLs

Post by gadgeteer »

type them EXACTLY LIKE THIS:<p>&#091url=http://ww&#119&#046website.ext&#093link name&#091/url&#093<p>So the LINK NAME gets underlined, (only the link name displays NOT the url), you can CLICK on that link name, and the pages don't get REALLLLL WWIIIIIDDDEE so you hafta scroll...<p>YES you can cut-n-paste the url...<p>S'allright?<p>Let's try one:
look-it-up!<p>(btw, the INSTANT UBB CODE buttons under your post box should also work...)
gadgeteer

Re: DON'T POST LONG URLs

Post by gadgeteer »

OK so it turns PURPLE ratr than underlined..<p>Let's try the button:
look-it-up
Well the button does exactly the same thing...
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Sorry, Gadgeteer - I'm an HTML idiot. The only thing I know about is C*dv/dt. :) I'll try to remember your lesson for future reference.
chessman

Post by chessman »

I always post the actual URLs because some people have trouble clicking on links. I always like to see full URLs in posts because sometimes I copy and paste them, and some people don't know you can right click and then hit copy shortcut.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I am glad you said that, I am HTML impaired.
my website<p>[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: Russ Kincaid ]</p>
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Hi, Ron! I really wasn't that upset; it's just a minor annoyance...<p>As they say "avoid the 'noyds". (I'm SO glad I actually got the "avoid-the-noid" figure before it disappeared! We're MUCH too litigious of a society...)<p>Though, at the risk of offending you again, a slight correction; the code here is UBB. Identical to vBulletin. HTML would look like:
<a href=http://www.linkadress> link name</a><p>The itallics & bold & underline (I see underline is switched off here) uses "[" in UBB, and "<" in HTML...<p>It is SO MUCH EASIER to bold with &#091b&#093 (that only takes a second to type...)<p>[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: gadgeteer ]</p>
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Hi Gadgeteer,<p>I wasn't offended - just humbled. I never paid attention to the "Instant UBB Code" buttons below the posting window. There is a "What is UBB code?" link below them. I also found this UBB code help. I'm sure there are many other help pages available, if they were needed.<p>Ron
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

OK, Gadgeteer, like Ron, I'm HTML and UBB ignorant. And I'm too lazy to try things out (or don't want to clutter up a forum topic doing so. So why didn't your "" cause everything to go bold after it? Or does it require a "parenthetical" closing ? (Which upon editing, I found that mine just bolded that one phrase.) Here: I'll try it again with just the opening and not a closer. <p>I'm getting confused. This stuff is like printing quote marks in comments back in my FORTRAN days. I notice that my original got dropped and only appeared as "".<p>Dean<p>[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: Dean Huster ]</p>
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

OK. Everytime I repost, the results change. Forget it. I hate computers. 1960 was a much better year.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

I'm sorry, Dean; I was using sneaky codes (so you would see the actual command, but the board wouldn't actually DO the command. Probably better to not tell, 'cause then people could bypass filters and stuff.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>I hate computers.<hr></blockquote>Not too fond of 'em myself; I know a few tricks, but often hafta reboot (not knowing how to make them work...)
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> 1960 was a much better year.<hr></blockquote>It was indeed; in fact, on this veru day, IN 1960, someone you KNOW was born...<p>(I mean someone BESIDES David Letterman)...<p> :D
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Happy late birthday, (i hope thats right).<p>Could you explain the sneaky code to show the code?? You have sparked my interest.
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Greg ---did you get my PM to you?
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

exec compensation this is a test... actually, you can press the url button down below and enter the address in the bar when it appears up above and lets see if it worked?
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
chessman

Post by chessman »

I'm interested in your sneaky code too........