Wire wrap tool question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
KamPutty

Wire wrap tool question

Post by KamPutty »

Hi all,

I do alot of wire wrapping using a hand held tool (looks like a jewelers screwdriver) with 30 gauge Kynar wire (it comes in pretty purple... :grin: )

Now this is all fun and dandy, BUT, I think a faster tool is needed.

Can anyone recommend an automatic wirewrapping tool?
You know, auto stripping, cutting etc...

Thoughts?

~Kam (^8*
gerty

Post by gerty »

I've seen trigger powered and electric wire wrapping 'guns' but not one that would cut/strip. Like you I use the screwdriver looking, plain jane one.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

They make hand held screwdrivers to do the job.

If you have a tiny electric screwdriver you can modify the tip. [1-1/2 round]
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I just googled "power wire wrap tool" and came up with a bunch of sites. Their not too common anymore so the law of supply and demand took over and I see high prices now.

Last time I used one, I broke more wires than I sucessfully wrapped. I need the tactile feedback of a hand wrapper.

http://www.oelsales.com/product.cfm/346/

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... groupId=55

Stripping is a seperate function and not integrated into the wrapper for the most part. As an alternative to a knife stripper, You can buy prestripped wire, buy a hot knife stripper or use lacquer coated wire wrap (like magnet wire it has a varnish coating that gets cut into by the square edges or the WW pins, easy to nik if you're not careful). Coated wire is great if you need to daisychain many pins.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Stripping? Never needed it for wire wrapping. Use the wire and terminals that are made for wire wrap, and the sharp edges of the terminal do the piercing of the insulation when it wraps.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

My early days tool used to break the wire any way, usually about 10%, so nothing has really changed.

Great connection, just a little too tall?

I still have a load of DOD wiring and I am always amazed how they got it right.