The Bulb of the Future

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Anything that saves our lies toward the arabs,.... is fine.

Trash from DC and buildings falling down come naturally. DUHH?

China can make all of our fluros as far as Im concerned.

AND Color is a CHOICE?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

philba wrote:
rshayes wrote:Interestingly enough, most of the cheap CFLs seem to be made in China.
chuckle...

I dislike CFLs because of their warm up time and harshness (of the cheap ones).

Anyone know about these "dimmable" CFLs? do they work with the stardard TRIAC based dimmers? any drawbacks? I have many fixtures with dimmers. That fact alone has me locked into incandesent for most of my bulbs.
Funny, mine require no warm up time to speak of. (It is so slight it is not worth noting.) The ones I have are not "harsh" like the Fluor tubes at work and are a warmer off white glow. Not the white almost blue of the two and four foot tubes.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

CFLs make a great replacment for any incandescent lamp in a drop light -- lasts forever, not prone to instant failure when it hits the concrete, lots of light and doesn't burn your cheek if you get too near the shield.

However, CFLs are worthless as outdoor lighting in northerly winter temperatures.

CFLs also put out a lot of RFI, making our airwaves even noisier than they already are. Hopefully they'll start putting filters in the lamps to reduce that.

And aren't all those "dollars saved" and "KWH" saved based upon an inflated useage of lamps 24/7 vs. just when you typically need them?

I did the same yesterday,... buy american and save a moron in the milatary [sic] service!
Well, Chris, your totally senseless rantings and ravings finally hit a nerve. Way to go pal. You can thank those "morons" who have served in the various branches of the armed forces over the past decades for the fact that you're not speaking German or Japanese while freely tossing back beers and snorting coke in California. Sure, political mistakes are made (I think you've cornered the market on spouting your version of those), but don't blame any soldiers, sailors or airmen for that. If this goes any farther, Larry is going to have to ban both of us from this forum.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

You know, Dean, I let that one go...

Quote:
buy american and save a moron in the milatary [sic] service!

But I gotta say, I've run into a much higher percentage of morons in the civilian workface than I ever did in the military...

I think Chris forgot his meds again.

Perhaps he'll thank a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine for his freedom to verbally attack his democratically elected government.

take your meds, Chris, and best wishes

Tom

CW0, USCG, Retired.

Proud father of an active duty USMC Lance Corporal
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Thanks Dean and usteservice. I let it pass because Chris and I have had ... words ... in the past.

MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Dale Y
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Dean Huster wrote:However, CFLs are worthless as outdoor lighting in northerly winter temperatures.
And aren't all those "dollars saved" and "KWH" saved based upon an inflated useage of lamps 24/7 vs. just when you typically need them?
Dean, my numbers were based on either 6 or 8 hours of usage per day (can't remember which now).

Also, I stopped into Menards (similar to Home Depot) yesterday and saw they now have cfl flood lights. Seems odd they'd sell them here in Iowa (home of cold winters) if they didn't work outside... I'll have to look closer though. I have 6 flood light bulbs that seem to spend more time on than off.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

usteservice

Another brain washing went well with you I see? [Leave em in a Jar, ehh?]

Lets all follow the moron out of Afghanistan and into Iraq, after all his daddy has honor?

The Military, what a failure, cant even tell the difference between the moron in the WH and his own personal deeds.

Talk about the need for lots of meds?

Oh but that right, they experiment on you with out your permission,.... what will Agent Orange be this time, depleted uranium?

Try opening the jar this time?

What did Nancy say....â€
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

:P
Dale Y
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Thanks for the crystal clear reply Chris. You're explanation is well thought out and concise, and avoids the disjointed ramblings one would expect from someone not in complete control of his faculties.

Have a great day

Tom
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Someone owns a small jar,.... usteservice

I realize free thought is your downfall.

Ever try to think for your self?

Just a thought?

No clones or sheep here?

Bush’s actions are very predictable,...

â€
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Dean Huster wrote:CFLs make a great replacment for any incandescent lamp in a drop light --

Well, Chris, your totally senseless rantings and ravings finally hit a nerve. Way to go pal. You can thank those "morons" who have served in the various branches of the armed forces over the past decades for the fact that you're not speaking German or Japanese while freely tossing back beers and snorting coke in California.Dean
What does "CFL" stand for? Cold Fluorescent Light? Cool? I know it isn't the Canadian Football League CFL.

I don't think that it is polite to assume that Cleburne is drinking beer or snorting cocaine. For all we know, he may just get this way every time his meth lab blows up in Bieber. Or more probably he may be neglecting his meds and that is a genuine medical problem.

Cleburne Smith! go see your doctor!

Regards,
Bob :cool:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I thank the sheep and their followers every day as they pretend to be more patriotic and going out of their way to silence others who call their lies and bluffs.

I Thank chicken hawks like Shrub, Cheney, and the dain brammaged Rummy every day. There is a moron stupid enough to buy into their crap even in this day and age.

Only thing worse is the pretend jar heads who think that backing these NEO con liars and calling it their service or duty,... is those who actually make up these lies for them to accomplish, blindly, faithfully, dutifully with out question. Real Patrioticc to follow a moron who cant even ties his own shoes?

And the others pretend to get mad if any one calls their bluff.

What part of the word “Patrioticâ€
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

I think this thread is starting to get out of control. Someone is going to have to volunteer to be the better man/woman and refuse to get offended and let this blow by.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Bob, I believe the C stands for Compact.....

Oh, and Chris after carefully reading your last post, I realize you are right.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Tom

Dyarker.. thanks for your Service, Master Sergeant!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Glad to darkyer

Patriotic,... not accepting some one else’s face value.

Blind Sheep,...... any fool following the tail of another with out asking why.

Objectionist,.... those who claim freedom while they really sensor others. [also see fascist/rummy]

Facade,...any one in the service who doesn’t think for them self while still calling it a patriotic act.

Nationalism,... Shrubs version of ideology and politics.

The expression -my country right or wrong - is a misquotation of the American naval officer Stephen Decatur.

Patriotism is about doing the right thing and saying NO to the wrong, ........

[remember Mi Lie?]

Military code of justice that even a puppet in the WH should already know, not rewrite for his own selfish means..