Tweeters

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
myp71

Tweeters

Post by myp71 »

I have a couple of tweeters in my car and they are loud and really clear.Any idea what resistior I could put in series, to help reduce the sound and balance out for my mids?

Thanks Ryan
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

It depends on how its wired now. If it is just wired in parallel with the other speaker, then you need a capacitor in series to remove the lower frequencies. Not sure of the value though, 4.7u/50V might be a place to start, the actual value determines the cutoff frequency. Usually use non polarized electrolytics, though have seen smaller value ceramic caps in some piezo speakers. All mine came with the speakers and I haven't looked in quite a while.

As for a resistor, it would help to know the impedance of the tweeter. If its a paper cone then it might be 4, 8 or 16 ohms but if its piezoelectric, it might be 10K or more. In any case, a resistor equal to the speaker impedance would be a good place to start.

best practice is to use some sort of crossover to seperate the tweeter from the other speakers
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Back in the days when Tri-axial speakers were popular, the better systems came with "Brilliance Controls" wired to them. This was merely a 25 ohm-5 watt-wirewound pot in series with the tweeter portion of the speaker. Crude and simple - yes, but you could hear the difference as they took some of the artificial crispness out of the sound.