CD4011 vs. CD4049

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mojorizing

CD4011 vs. CD4049

Post by mojorizing »

I'm building a circuit where the author uses a CD4011 Quad NAND gate as an inverting buffer between a MAX 232 and a 2N7000 N-ch MOSFET . Both inputs to the NAND gate is actually one lead, split to go to both inputs. Can I safely use an inverting buffer CD4049 (with the lead to one input) in it's place?

Thanks, Mojo
philba

Post by philba »

in general, yes, you can do that if you stay in the same logic family. I've seen a number of circuits like that and guess that the designer happened to have a nand gate available. tI would check the output characteristics and speed of the part, though. In the case of a FET on the output, it should be just fine.
mojorizing

Post by mojorizing »

Thanks for the reply, Philba.

I have a tube of CD4049's and no CD4011's. I can understand if the circuit is a prototype and Radio Shack is closed and it's late at night and you don't have the proper logic components so you make a substitution, but this circuit is offered as a kit in production. Hence the question. Thanks again.