monitoring a solar panel

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zotdoc

monitoring a solar panel

Post by zotdoc »

I want to monitor the output of a 12 volt solar panel with some type of in line volt/ammeter, powered by either it's own supply or possibly from the solar panel itself. I am looking for a small circuit to build that I can leave in place, so expensive VMM's are out. Input on what the best solution would be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

You could use a couple PICs (or other MCUs) to build a sort of data logger. Use the A-D converter to capture voltage and send the data to a PC, or even simply to an EEPROM memory device.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Stick with the simple meters unless you need to "Data Log" the whole event.

Both meters wont hurt or draw down the panel, and You will know at a glance what’s going on.

Panel meters can be had very cheap, old ones can be found for nothing, and neither require a whole lot to keep running.

If analog is ok, old meters will run for ever at no [mimimal] additional power, and any ammeter runs all by them self upon the draw.

However if fancy is the thing, pay more and complicate it a little more as necessary.
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

Thanks for all the help. I am going to use the panel meter idea.