T-Qualizer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
geewiz

T-Qualizer

Post by geewiz »

Anyone seen this? Any idea on how its made? I have one coming from UK for around $70 US. Would llike to know if I can diy'it cheaper and apply to other items

hxxp://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/the-tqualizer-175014.php
philba

Post by philba »

kind of a wierd page (hxxp protocol not withstanding) but it does raise the question - does that paint/coating actually exist? sound activated? I dunno, sounds (no pun intended) bogus to me.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

No body home?

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the gizmodo.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

Internet Explorer
philba

Post by philba »

it takes but a tiny bit of reasoning - the hxxp protocol is just a mangled http. copy the url, change xx to tt and you will find the page. I believe this is from the EDA board where they do it for "security" reasons. I think they need to get out more often...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

amazing what you can do with EL displays these days...hope it does not get wet...Bzzzt ...POP !
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

Wasn't sure about posting links, thus the "hxxp", but it was still "URLalized".

I've since discovered they're EL panels. And the shirt works. The mike is embedded in the power housing (which is stupid since the adapter<inverter?> is worn undershirt).

I'm looking for sites for how-tos, etc for working with these. I'd really like to replictate this on other items for myself.

PS:

The tee referenced above is washable after power unit is unplugged.

When I ordered only one site was able to ship to US. They wanted around $70. I had a UK site ship to someone locally and she in turn has forwarded it to me. Saved a few bucks, then I got phone bill with UK call. Savings nullified
philba

Post by philba »

el panels. sheesh. those things run at a couple hundred VAC at maybe a couple Khz. dac was right. that's a serious hazard. I'll pass.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I still did not get the page. I don't get an hxxp or an http. I get a php and the PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED.

But I looked up TQUALIZER and then found TQUALISER and found the T-shirt. The bar graph is a straight forward bar graph. Probably using some sort of chip such as the LM3914 or similar "BAR DOT" drivers. It could be custom silicon or some similar chip. I'm guessing as to what they used for the driver but these are basically a bunch of voltage dividers and comparators.

The "light source" segments are what are called Electro Luminescence elements. They are a chemical that gives off light when exposed to high voltages; around 100 to 200 volts. Usually a high frequency oscillator is used in battery devices to lower the size of the step up transformer.

EL panels are VERY popular in watches and other back lit LCD displays. These are the "soft blue glow" you see in many items, including night lights. They can be many colors as well. While this shirt, should it short out, will make you tingle, it won't kill you; unless you have a bad heart. Let me restate that; a VERY bad heart. In other words I would not worry about it shorting out.

I would worry about getting my a$$ kicked by someone that thought it was stupid. I think the ladies would think this is UBERGEEKY and would not be caught anywhere near someone wearing this.

BTW these are on eBay for about $40 to $50 with another $20 shipping. The bar graph can be custom designed. Someone else has already implemented a clock into a shirt in a similar fashion. Next they will have the scrolling "name badge" type shirts as well. (OOOPS! Did I just give away a million dollar idea???)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
philba

Post by philba »

it all depends on the panel size. large ones take a fair amount of power. won't kill but its more than a tingle. if they are small, then it's a lot less of a hazard and frankly, untergeeky.

by the way, much more interesting than panels is el-wire. You can do some pretty fun things with it. last holloween, I was a brainiac with a red glowing brain. It was lots of fun.
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

Well, I've worn it once so far. Good responses. Gotta either "remote" the mike from inverter housing or walk around with it in hand, which just kills the cool factor