Electric Cars

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Electric Cars

Post by jollyrgr »

This is topical for today, July 25, 2006. Note the blackouts in California (some going three days without power), St. Louis, and New York. According to the AP:

Northern and Southern California: Tens of thousands without power; some on their third day.

St. Louis: 145,000 homes and buisnesses still without power after storms knocked out power to 600,000 LAST WEEK!

In New York City thousands of homes and buisnesses have been without power for a ninth day!

Now, ask yourself this question: Would you want an electric car? Do you think that our current grid could support even one fourth of the cars being swapped for electric cars?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Jolly
Thats a goodpoint which I never even thought of. At least with a gas engine, you could hop in the car for a while to get warm or cool,whichever is needed at the time.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Build one, and they will come.
http://news.google.com/news?q=Tesla+ele ... s&ct=title
As demand grows, so will the juice needed to feed it- at a price of course.
I like the idea of producing my own fuel- solar, wind, etc.
josmith

Post by josmith »

Welcome to yesterday. The electric car was dead on arrival. No electric car was ever made that couldn't have been improved by taking out the batteries and motor and replacing it with a good ic engine. Now the hybrid is the hearthrob of the enviormentally conscious. I think that in time the slightly hybrid systems like the Silverado/Sierra has will win out.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Jollyrgr!

I read that St. Louis has been without electric power for over 200,000 homes and that city has made an advance application to the feds for aid from FEMA. I don't know if they remember Fema's response to Katrina......., they might be waiting a long time.

But lets get back to the suitability of electric cars: They might have their place but it is certainly not here. Any place that gets cold in winter is not suitable. Imagine using kilowatts to heat the car AND move it too. Highway trucks and semi rigs hauling real weight in cargo could never go electric. However the idea of electric transportation IS practical if you consider trolleys for public transit and the electric commuter trains used in Europe and Asia. But the idea that electric cars are practical for North America should be just about dead by now. Now Hybrids, there's an idea!

If you are old enough you may remember a very old campaign to stop drinking and driving. The slogan was "Remember, gasoline and alcohol don't mix". Now, years later, my little pickup truck is advertised as being capable of burning E85 fuel, 85% booze grade ethanol + 15% gasoline.

Now if we could only grow a lot more sugar cane like Argentina (or is it Brazil) where E85 is the standard fuel!

Regards, Bob
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Stupid is what stupid conglomerates in one small box.

Too much of anything is not good, just look at our big cities?

But I enjoy our non power outages living like humans should be, one per square mile.

Im going electric, even having all three.

A tiny charger [ couple of cc motor] using a weed whacker in a pinch, a solar cell, and a wall plug, all to to get my quart of milk not at 55 mph and not using two gallons of Arabian gas to do it.

Be stupid, listen to your government, they know best Bahahahah.

Then Im working on GRASS not sugar for methanol.

ATF, go get a real job.

But remember, it all cant be done in the real world?
jwax

Post by jwax »

Let's see. Drive 20 miles. Use a $3 gallon of gasoline.
Or, use $.20 worth of electricity for the same 20 miles.
Yeah. That's a tough decision. Electric is obviously dead. :razz:
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

When an all-electric car gets a decent range, when its interior volume and weight isn't dominated by the batteries and when you don't have to do a wholesale battery replacement for $4000 every couple of years -- then I'd eagerly buy one. And any electric car that doesn't have a PV roofpanel for charging the batteries while sitting in the parking lot is no car to own.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Let me guess, the sun still wont come up in the east?
No wonder were still in Deep Sh*t.

Solar still too expensive?
Wind generators are just a hoax?
AC doesn’t waste energy?
House roofs cant pay back energy?
The arabs will be around for ever?
Haven’t figured out how to make cheap solar cells out of glass yet?
Politicians still giving away energy to the “Bigâ€
josmith

Post by josmith »

You can dream or you can do a little arithmetic. $.20 gets you around 3kwh of electricity which is around 4 horsepower-hours. If the 20 mile trip takes 1/2 hour that averages out to 8 hp.

Remember that a car has to be able to keep up with traffic and go up hills. It also has to meet safety requirements for crash worthiness and rollover protection.

Can any road worthy car meet all these requirements and still run on 8hp?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A perfect politicians speech.

What district are you running for, Buffalo NY?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, and were all just like you, a fool.

How do I get my keyboard to write in Arabic?

Just type in the letters "DC" or even worse...."Bush"?

bahahahahah
jwax

Post by jwax »

The vehicle that offers a clean alternative to oil based propulsion isn't here today because of economic/political reasons, not because the technology isn't doable.
The mindset of a better way to transport people has to look at alternatives to oil, invest in their development, and generate the volume needed to make it affordable.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Repug’s had their chance and blew it, dems have just one chance, ....and after the smoke settles lets see who is more fill of shi*?

And if it settles as known,... they both are full of it, then don’t piss in my ear and tell me its raining?

Sell your stock to the morons in the east, they have already....

Get used to black outs.....

bahahahahah
josmith

Post by josmith »

Putting economics/politics/oil in a context of insignificance only demonstrates a lack of connection with reality. These are the most powerful forces on the planet.

Oil is expensive not because it is in short supply or because it cost more to produce but only because it's the best source of energy and those who control it are cashing in.

If an alternative were to emerge, and presently there are no alternatives,it could be easily neutralized by reducing the price of oil until the threat is gone.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Were weak.
Rome is dying.
cry me a tear....

that or wake up, politics sucks, they want your sister for nothing....
get a job....

How many ways can we send waste to ignoramuses in DC, or just us....Were weak.

Rome is dying.
cry me a tear....

that or wake up, politics sucks, they want your sister....
get a job....

How many ways can we send waste to ignoramuses, or just us....

We can waste everything, or we can use it for our selves.... politics?