SMT, getting started

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bern

SMT, getting started

Post by Bern »

I have intentionally steered clear of working with SMTs, and now that bit me. I have a project where I must use SMT, and I know next to nothing about it. I need to design the circuit, do the layout, and build boards. - - - Any suggestions on how to get up to speed in a hurry? Somewhere it seems I saw a kit to help with this, but now I cannot find it. Anybody know what I think I’m talking about??? How did you make the jump from leaded devices to SMTs? Thanks
stevech

Post by stevech »

If you haven't, this writing and the dialog beneath it are interesting - how to solder SMT at home with solder paste and a convection oven

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?modu ... ndex&cid=4
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Note that you can harvest all kinds of SMT devices from the more modern (yet just as defective) VCRs, DVD players, computers and their cards, pagers, cellular phones (not the best source), etc. Resistors and capacitors are the most common and useful components, of course, and with some of the SMT produced in the 1990s, you can get CMOS and TTL ICs as well.

Most of the IC companies such as Maxim only produce and deliver samples in SMT, so those samples are great sources of the newest parts for onesey-twosey projects.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
bearing01

Post by bearing01 »

Depending on how you fabricate your boards, you need a fairly precise proces s to get your footprints accurate. Having said that, working on FR4 substrate and using 0402 footprint components you should be able to operate up to 2 or 3 GHz. If you want to go higher then you now can get 0201 footprint components. If you want to design at microwave frequencies like C band or higher then we can talk more about that.

It's easiest to unsolder components using two soldering irons. One in each hand.

When working with wire-wound inductors the wire comes down to the foot print. They're pretty much one time components because the wire tends to come off after you use it a few times.

Get yourself one of those magnifying lamps to help yourself visually inspect your soldering work.
[quote="Chris Smith"]What does the smell of “piss in the windâ€