Information required

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bodgy

Information required

Post by bodgy »

I know this doesn't seem like an electronics topic, but trust me the info will help me with a pic project I'm about to start.<p>Are greenhouses used in America - not commercial ones, but home ones? Or hydroponic tomatoes etc.<p>Very popular in Northern Europe naturally, but I'm not sure if the summer weather is cool enough to have much of a following in the US.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Chris Smith

Re: Information required

Post by Chris Smith »

I do, but not hydroponic, Water is free, so is dirt and space. Many acres here. <p>My tomatoes and Peppers did real well this year, in the green house. <p>Did less better out side in the weather where shifts over night threaten their growth. <p>Soon, I'll grow them on a hot spring vent, in a green house, in winter? With any luck? <p>We grew some in the sand which is almost hydroponic, in West Aust in the 70's, in the desert, and they came out better than well, if that helps? A dripping AC feed it water 24/7.
billdar

Post by billdar »

aound my area (california, us) hydroponics are fairly big.<p>Some use it for growing vegitables, but with questionable legality of medical marijauna people use it as to forgo the government run clubs. As well as recreational uses.<p>But despite the end uses, comercial hydroponic uses are directed at growing vegitables and is fairly large buisness here
russlk

Post by russlk »

Here in New Hampshire, a greenhouse is fairly necessary for starting early plants like tomatoes and peppers. There was a commercial flower grower here, entirely under glass.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Thanks for your replies. I know it seemed a silly question, but here in Queensland they're just not heard of - even Tasmania (British Style weather) doesn't really use them. <p>So I just wondered as America has States that are hot as well as Cold whether they were used . I now know and I can go ahead with my project when my little freebies from Switzerland arrive.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

yes hydroponics is popular in the states. Some of the fair weather places the tomatoes don't fully ripen. In these regions grocery stores sell alot of good looking hydroponic tomatoes.<p>[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: dim bulb ]</p>