buying a plastic injection machine

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
skrog7

buying a plastic injection machine

Post by skrog7 »

Does anyone know where to buy a small plastic injection machine to use on hobby size projects? I have read Vincent Ginery's book and it looks like it would work great but I believe that project is over my head.
bigkim100

small unit???

Post by bigkim100 »

Although small is a relative term....there are very few small and inexpensive machines available, as there is really no practical use for a "small" machine if you want to make money in a business. For a business, a machine will never make its money back, unless it takes on large, money making projects, and to do that, you need a large machine.
There are a lot of used manufacturing equipment websites out there...but expect to pay many thousands for a small unit. Keep an eye on Ebay for equipment as well.
Then there are the endless hassles of manufacturing the moulds to be used in such machines, that are usually not easy to make. What sort of things were you planning to manufacture...and were you planning to make the moulds yourself???. Small professionally made molds usually cost quite a bit.
At least with Vacuum forming equipment, you can easily manufacture one yourself, or buy cheap used ones on EBay...and you will have a relatively large market of small "hobby" modelmakers, and Taxi companies looking for cheap custom car top Bubble Lights. I was at a vacuum forming place recently, and they wanted $600.00 for a blank car top sign used for a taxi. For a small mould that I wanted manufactured,,,,they wanted $2000.00, and $200.00 to vacuum form it. I ended up making the mould myself, and having it vacuum formed at a hobby shop for $10.00
bigkim100

EBay item

Post by bigkim100 »