555/decade counter 7 seg display help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zeromod

Post by zeromod »

Well the rockets in this case are fireworks. I was probably too vague with my description in the term rockets. I was under the assumption that it took only a small ammount of amperage to heat a piece of nichrome wire to ignite a fuse. I ordered a sample pack of various gauges as small as 45g and as large as 10g. The length I had considered was going to be 35-40 feet. But this is due to the fact that I havent looked into anything to pump out the current. As of now the idea is this. I have a clock pulse from a 555, two decade counters a couple of bcd counters and a 7 seg, as well as a latch decoder/driver for the seg display and some dual 4 input nor gates which are neccesary as I have been told that they could be used to force a carry as the bcd has no carry out.
I wish I could help more in explanation but I havent received all of my chips yet and expect them this Monday, Tuesday at the latest. But in general the idea is to use a clock pulse and to use pinouts on the ic's to the nichrome wire. It's hard to get a good understanding of what kind of power needed for the wire until it arrives. But once again I was under the assumpton that at around 40 feet or so with relatively low power I could heat one of those puppies up. If need be I may try boosting the current with relays/transistors? Ill need to get the circuit working first before I can attempt to set off my test smoke bombs (they have custom fuses that are a bit thicker than average.) What exactly is an IGBT? ignition box timer? lol Everytime I think I have things somewhat drafted in my mind, I get more info that leads me to think otherwise. If I post a schematic of my idea perhaps you guys could give me some suggestions? I appreciate the help it's odd being a "newbie" again but I realize that I must sound like the guy asking how to install Linux :D thanks again.

edit: oh and the two decades are to increase the expandablity, ie: higher count for more launches. And Ill explain in my scheatic post the purpose of the nor gates, one of the IC's had no carry out and from what a gentleman a bit more experienced than I explained I can use them to work around the problem, when two go high then this one goes low etc. Its hard for me to explain however As long as the datasheet shows me a good diagram with clock pulse and so forth I think he makes sense.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary..and those who dont."
jwax

Post by jwax »

Cool! Everybody loves PYRO! :grin:
IGBT is "Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor" Google is your friend!
Here's another site regarding electrical/pyro mixtures-
http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.ph ... owforum=10
:shock:
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi,
Funny thing.. I just watched "Rocket Boys" video this weekend. Guy (Homer Hickam) is like coal miner's daughter, and makes his way from hick mining town with no easy escape, to being a "Rocket Scientist". When you need a break, check it out... if you haven't already!
Regards, Dave
craig-1

try this E mail address

Post by craig-1 »

[email protected] He is a DIGITAL ENGINEER.
jwax

Post by jwax »

"Rocket Boys", "October Sky"- it's just juxtapositioning of letters, right? :smile:
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Good call jwax. Just like Mr. Mojo Risin' and Jim Morrison !
It is Friday alright!
Dave