SMT Adapters (SOIC, LFCSP, PLCC, QFP, etc)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
developerzero

SMT Adapters (SOIC, LFCSP, PLCC, QFP, etc)

Post by developerzero »

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get good, inexpensive adapters for use with various types of suface-mount devices so I can prototype with them without having to make an entirePCB, but instead just use a breadboard?

Specifically, I am interested in an adapter for a 40-pin & 48-pin LFCSP adapters for a couple of different ICs that I found that are very cool from Analog Devices that are only available in this form-factor.

It seems that they, and many other companies, are starting to make lots of devices only available in these Surface-Mount form factors. It appears that the electronics manufacturers are turning their backs on us hobbyists.

But back to my main point. Does anyone know of any good, inexpensive adapters that can convert from Surface-Mount to Dual-Inline format? (Preferably ones that don't require soldering.)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Your cheapest option is to buy your own socket and then design its footprint into a PCB.

Best vendors for CSP sockets is www.locknest.com, www.loranger.com, www.umdtech.com. The vendors will insist on a package drawing so have the PDFs from the Analog datasheets ready to send when you contact them for a quote. I just quoted some very similar sockets and I think they were about $60 each.

I saw an ad for these guys somewhere http://www.schmartboard.com/ and their product may be useful for making soldered on adapters (no socket). If they have what you want, it would be the cheapest I know of

Normally I would point right to www.emultation.com for an adapter but I don't think they have much for CSP

Post some links to the datasheets and I will check my stock at work to see if I have a spare PCB I can let go (since I need to make 10 boards to fill one order, I have tons of stagnant stock). I know I have some CSP in the ballpark, you would still need to get the socket as I don't do "solder on" adapters.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

You might try DigiKey. Twin Industries and Capital Advanced Technologies "Surfboards", might work. I didn't see an exact match for what you are looking for in the catalog, but the companies might offer others, if yoou check with them direct.
Hope this helps,
Dave
philba

Post by philba »

there are several options, none great/cheap. there are sockets for some kinds of chips (ssops, soics), they aren't cheap. you can also clips that are used to grab chip leads for hooking up logic analizers/oscopes/...

In all cases, you will have some pretty bad noise problems. for high speed stuff, this is an issue.

a number of companies make adaptor boards (you can make them yourself, also) that you solder the chip to. one or two rows of pins make for the the external interface.

I don't think the manufacturers are turning their back on hobbiests - I don't think they really ever looked our direction.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

may want to do a search on ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) Socket for IC that you want to use. I think Digikey sells some.