Best AM Broadcast band Radio for dx?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikem

Best AM Broadcast band Radio for dx?

Post by mikem »

What is the best radio for getting AM radio 550 to 1600 KC broadcast band reception? One friend said that I should get a car radio and another said to get a GE Super Radio. How about some external antenna to boost reception? I like baseball and football and some of the games aren't on TV so I want to get a high performance setup. Right now I am using a 1960's Magnavox that I took out of a stereo console that was being junked out. Thanks--Mike.
Externet

Re: Best AM Broadcast band Radio for dx?

Post by Externet »

Hi Mikem
Pick any decent radio, probably the one you already have and focus on the antenna and grounding !
That will make a world of reception difference.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

That's the best bit of advice you will get Mike.<p>Any receiver is only as good as its antenna (which includes its earth or ground arrangement.) <p>It has been said that the antenna is the single most important component in any radio system.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Well, we always liked Panasonic brand radios for AM DXing. They did well and were not expensive.
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

You may want to consider the CC radio by C. Crane company, as it is designed to do what you want and more.
Their web site http://www.ccrane.com/ccradio.asp<p>Ned
mikem

Post by mikem »

There isn't an antenna input so I tried using a 25' piece of wire with the end wrapped around the ferrite antenna for a few turns and it only added to the background interference. Maybe I can use a piece of coax cable and take the antenna outside. I saw an article once that used a coil of wire wound in circle like a Hula-Hoop and mounted on a pole. Anybody tried any of these coiled antennas? Thanks--Mike.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If your shopping for a new radio and the specs are available, you could look at the AM tuner sensitivity spec but the antenna advice is really the best.<p>A quick search on google using "replacing AM antenna" yeilded some articles on modifying the ferrite rod antenna to have a homemade loop antenna instead. Looks pretty easy to do.<p>Here are 2 links that looked helpful<p>http://notebook.beradio.com/ar/radio_sh ... m_antenna/<p>http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/an ... mloop.html
russlk

Post by russlk »

A communications receiver with crystal filter IF will give minimum interference and will have an external antenna connection.....
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi Mike,
I agree with the posters who feel that the
antenna is the most important element for what
you are trying to do. I have used automobile
radios in several projects because they were
shielded better - designed for better rejection
of noise.
Once you have an external antenna hooked up,
you may cosider a "signal booster" designed for
that bandwidth. You should be able to find one
easily - or better yet build it yourself.
An antenna "matcher" is easily made with a
few coils and capacitors as well, which can be
matched at the frequency you are listening to
giving better reception to those far off stations.
Hope this helps and best of luck,
Dave (N0QOF)
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The "hula hoop" antenna is a directional loop antenna and can have its benefits such as reducing the signal level of an unwanted station on the same frequency as a station you want to hear. There have been lots of articles on building them (i.e., do a Google or Dogpile search) but I wouldn't rely on a loop antenna solely. Just have it around when you need it.<p>A Beverage antenna seems to be the pick of the litter for an antenna, but you have to have the acreage to support that puppy. I've always done just fine with a simple longwire antenna as long and as high as I can get it. Stretch it N-S for E-W reception and E-W for N-S reception.<p>Avoid most car radios like the plague for AM reception. Car radios used to be basic AM receivers with FM tossed in as a side benefit and because the FCC mandated it. Now they're made as FM radios with AM added as an afterthought. Now, if you find an old tube-type car radio made in the 1960's, you can have a very nice receiver for AM. A lot of those had a built-in tuned RF amplifer which really increased their gain and helped their selectivity.<p>My receiver of choice is a communications receiver, aka "shortwave" receiver. I've been using the Knight-Kit R-100A for that purpose ever since I built it from a kit in 1965. The comm receivers have the benefit of a lot of extras such as selectivity adjustments, RF gain adjustments, etc. Older ones won't have digital readout, though. If that's important for you, you'll have to find a newer machine or modify the old one for a readout. I've never had much of a problem with the analog dial of the R-100A. I have a Hewlett-Packard 606A right by the receiver, so if I really need to know an exact setting, I'll fire up the 606A and tune the receiver for its signal.<p>Just make sure that the receiver you settle on has provision for an external antenna.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Bill Lahan

Post by Bill Lahan »

I have a CC radio and I am disappointed with the performance.<p>A good loop antenna works very well for this type activity.<p>The magnet loop is best because it offers better noise immunity.<p>Adding a low noise amp up front can help. It can be even bette is it is a tuned RF amp.