Network and Windows

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
connect21

Network and Windows

Post by connect21 »

Does anybody knows of a website that I could check to set up a small network (2 computers with a crossed cable). I found website that tells you how to do it with Windows XP but I would like to do it with Windows 98. I tried looking in the help files but they are useless.

Thanks
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Do you simply want to share files, or do you want to also share the Internet?

If you simply want to share files (but not share the Internet) do some googling for "Windows 98 netbeui" and you'll get several good links. Netbeui is an old but very effecient protocol built into Windows and some versions of DOS that is only good for small ad-hoc lans. It's leading benefit is that it is extremely easy.

If you want to share the Internet, do a search for "windows 98 internet connection sharing" assuming you have Windows 98 Second Edition. It is a built in feature that allows you to set up a basic TCP/IP based network with practically 0 configuration. If you have the original Win 98 then a tool like the compley free Analog X Proxy will help.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This is relatively simple. You mentioned crossover cable so I assume you want to use Ethernet. Here is what you do:
  • *Configure drivers so your Ethernet cards are working.
    *Plug in xover cable to the Ethernet cards.
    *On computer A, go to the network configuration and (assuming Windows 98) add to the network configuration or configure/edit the one that is there. To this connection add Client for Microsoft Network, File and Print Sharing, and TCP/IP. This should be accessible from the desktop by right clicking NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD (or whatever it was called on 98) and selecting PROPERTIES or via network settings in the control panel.
    *Configure TCP/IP and give a static address. Win XP will assign one if it does not see a DHCP server. But for ease, static an address of 10.0.0.11 to one computer, 10.0.0.12 to the other. You could use 192.16.1.100, or anything you desire. Powerful suggestion is to use a 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x address or similar. Don't assign an address of something on the Internet as may lead to grief. Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
Once done reboot if needed. From each computer, ping itself to make sure you assigned the right address. Then ping the other computer. Should you not get a reply, make sure you have disabled any firewalls.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
connect21

Post by connect21 »

Newz2000 and Jollyrgr

Thanks for the tips, I was able to get one computer with Windows 98 to communicate with another computer with Windows 98 and I did it by hand ( without the installation wizard). Now I will try to get a computer running with Windows 98 to communicate with a computer that is using Windows XP, so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again