lick here to unlock the door

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

lick here to unlock the door

Post by Newz2000 »

My boss, Pete, had an excellent idea. Our building currently uses an RFID pass-card based authentication. If you don't have one of these pass-cards, you can't get into the building unless you go past the front desk.

As we know, RFID just doesn't provide that much security. There are much better biometric systems out there that, in addition to being more secure, also are more convenient, because you no longer need to carry the pass card.

But instead of using some cheezy thumb-print recognition, let's think into the future and invest in a system that truly is cutting edge - DNA comparison.

Admittedly, giving up some DNA in order to get into the building may make some people a little squimish, so instead of poking a person's thumb, let's just use a bit of saliva.

At each door of the building, we'll install a sensor that you lick in order to gain entrance. The sensor will test the DNA and compare it to the stored database record and unlock the door if appropriate.

Now, I know what you're thinking, and let me assure you - the sensors will be heated so that your tongue doesn't freeze to it in the winter.

Personally, I think the plan is brilliant.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

As long as I get first lick-OK. I dont like sloppy seconds.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

immagine the viruses you can catch,,or worse.. ! :shock:
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Agree with R.R.

Dangerous, no telling what desease everybody in the building will get.

And, not secure either. As soon as you leave the local coffee shop, someone could wipe your cup with a swab, then they have the key to the building. DNA has a high degree of identification, but we leave a trail of DNA sources behind us.

There are three aspects for security systems to use. Something we have (ID card, RFID tag, etc), something we know (PIN number), something we are (finger print, retina scan, voice, etc).

Your current system uses only one, and a weak one besides. RFID tags that use encryption when communicating with reader would be more secure.

Many medium level systems check two things. In your case adding PIN or finger print to RFID tag.

To deter someone with a stolen/found RFID tag from trying multiple PINs, use a three try lockout and/or video camera.

Risk analysis balances cost and inconvenience to authorized people against cost of loss due to unauthorized entry to determine how much security makes sense.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Keeping in mind that I was a disgruntled employee, put a picture of the boss on the door and just spit at it!
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Beside the hygiene and security issue described above, I wonder how long time it takes to analyze the DNA sample this way. More than 2.9 seconds, and you cross the natural or average impatience threshold for humans. I've seen research concluding that this is the time it takes before you'll press the button a second time if nothing happens. :D

If it is so fast, why does it take days to analyze DNA in other cases?

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

NSA and high security facilities have always used the finger print and retinal eye scans.
Together they are just short of fool proof especially when you have a guard watching over the process so no one can come in with body parts off some one else.

And if all you want is DNA, your finger print oil will do. But you have to wash the scanner before each use.
KamPutty

Post by KamPutty »

I'm gonna sell Tongue Condoms when you get it working!
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

instead of licking the sensor,why not just spit into it?
gerty

Post by gerty »

I don't need to get into any building that bad :shock:
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Three things at once if sugar level is checked.

Four things at once if drug level is checked.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Dale Y
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I think there's more DNA in... well I wouldn't want an audience, but if my job required it of me that's fine as long as it's on paid time.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless