LEXPRO RE:- - -ANALOG TO DIGITAL

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikeb

LEXPRO RE:- - -ANALOG TO DIGITAL

Post by mikeb »

YES THAT WHAT IM TRYING TO DO EXACTLY. TO SDISPLAY THE FRQUENCY DIGITALLY, I HAD A SCHEMATIC THAT DID THIS EXACT THING FROM WHAT I REMEMBER THE CIRCUIT USED SOME TYPE OF PRESCALER AND ANOTHER IC, THAT INTERFACED WITH THE 7 SEGMENT DISPLAYS TO SHOW THE FREQUENCY IN DIGITALLY. I HAVE MISSED PLACE THE SCHEMATIC AND IM TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING ALONG THE SAME PRINCIPLE. ANY INFO WILL BE MOST APPRECIATE.
Edd

Re: LEXPRO RE:- - -ANALOG TO DIGITAL

Post by Edd »

LEXPRO:
In my hamfiles I remember this site and think it might
be just what U want It certainly beats my having done the
prototyping up of a circuit, PCB layout and its debugging
like I did with a 30 Mhz 8 digit display using TTL & LED’s
back in early 70’s.There is the DFD 4 version in your freq
range on up into the 2 giggles.region. Getting a matrix LCD
display and PIC design would be hard to beat at the low
given price. Installation wise one takes a gimmick sample
of the rec’s LO and sets in the required IF freq offset.
If you buy one unit its performance pleases you, for
replicates you might look at the given schematics and
dupe the pic coding.
And Ur site is :
www.aade.com/dfd4.htm<p>Addenda:
Also U might check the 30mhz version if it might
be of interest on another piece of equip in the future, its location:
www.aade.com/dfd3.htm <p>73’s de Edd
eddw35@attbi (Interstellar ~~~~ Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

i was able to find a schematic of the digital dial in question. the circuit was listed in a 1985 article of radio electronics. it uses a ds8629 prescalerand a mm5430 counter ic. now my problem is finding the chips to make this circuit. i was able to located the mm5430 fairly easy, but the ds8629 has been obselete for a while an is very hard to find . if any one has a source for this chip it would be most appreciated.
Edd

Post by Edd »

LEXPRO: On the MM5369 chip:
Curiosity…..is the unit needed for repair work like fitting into an existing board position on a PCB or for new prototype construction?? I know of 2 local sources of the devices @ $2 US each. Hit me at my atti b/b site if U want me to provide their addee for U.
On your DS8629 of National, it is also sourced by Plessey, GEC and PSC , the latter of which I had used in the past
There's supposed to be about 3k+ devices available at this given site of which one is near to me in Tx and the other is a Costa Mesa Cal site for U.
On my post on the readout I was interpreting your need to be on the FM Ham band ,where we would want the long tail readout, but now I perceive that U must only want a readout
on the standard FM B’cast band where U wud only need 200khz resolution on your display.
The site:
http://www.aeri.com/ <p>Dim Bulb: On the MM5369 chip:
Wonder what brand and vintage of set you specified used them ? Must have been at that window of design at the introduction of uP’s and OSD to sets , but after the conversion to the utilization of subdivision of the color burst frequency reference to get the hoz and vert timebase freqs. Seems like I might have possibly remembered it in the Star system Of Magnavox ?? Naturally,in prior dates, just a good filtering and conditioning of the line ref had sufficed.<p>73’s de Edd
eddw35@attbi (Interstellar ~~~ Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Why can't you just use a 7107 voltmeter chip, with direct-drive LED outputs? Tie a pot into your tuning dial to drive the meter input, and calibrate the meter to display the correct numbers (it's made to display up to 1.999). The numbers should be very stable and repeatable. And with the 7107 (or 7106 if you want LCD), parts count very low...