simple noise meter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
labview1958

simple noise meter

Post by labview1958 »

I want to make a simple noise meter. The purpose is to detect the noise level outside my house. I want to measure the noise level. I am looking for a sound sensor plugged to a chip that converts sound to voltage and conected t a voltmeter. Any ideas?
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
labview1958

noise meter

Post by labview1958 »

How do I convert the noise from the trafic in front of my house to a voltage? Do I use the microphone?
philba

Post by philba »

I suggest that you buy a logging sound level meter. I base this on the fact that you wil need to calibrate the device and your obvious skill level. extech makes a fairly nice one with an rs232 interface for about $250.
labview1958

noise meter

Post by labview1958 »

How to make a simple one?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the VU circuit above will work just fine with a dynamic microphone
or a old headphone speaker from a old walkman or such.. then you just adjust it to your needs. hope this helps ya ..

i also think you might be able to do it with a headphone speaker, dioad and a cap and a meter,,you will need also a good pot to adjust the sensitivity, so that you do not slam the meter , this is about as simple as i can think of,, will not be super accurate, but it should do you for you..
labview1958

noise meter

Post by labview1958 »

Does the microphone picks up all the noise as a human ear?
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya and some times a bit more...:P
the electric mics are better for hi frequencys,
and the dynamic (dynamic?) ones are better for low frequencys
philba

Post by philba »

actually, it is much more complex than that. every mike has a characteristic frequency response curve. the data sheet for the mike should show it. it may roll off at a few kilohertz or may well go quite high. it may also not be very sensitive at the really low end.

In addition, microphones are not perfectly unidirectional. They will have different response depending on where the sound is coming from. some are better than others but even "omnidirectional" mikes aren't perfect.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I re-suggest that you buy a logging sound level meter.
Dale Y
philba

Post by philba »

dyarker wrote:I re-suggest that you buy a logging sound level meter.
:shock:
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
grant fair

Post by grant fair »

The circuit in the last post will work, just put your plus voltmeter lead at the "sig" output in the top schematic, and the negative lead attached to the ground of that circuit. The LED circuit on the bottom is just a substitute for a voltmeter so it can be omitted.

If you want to buy one, Radio Shack has sound level meters for under $50. A proper sound level meter contains some filtering so that the meaurements correspond to how the ear perceives loudness. (Google Fletcher-Munson curves for more info). At low levels, the ear does not hear low frequencies as well as it does at higher volume levels, so this may not be needed in your application.

Do you need to calibrate it? Are you trying to get something done to reduce the noise?

Grant
labview1958

noise meter

Post by labview1958 »

Where can I buy a ready made sound meter that mesures sound as heard by the human ear. I am interested in reducing human noise. Noise caused by people talking loudly. Is there a way to reduce such noise by some scientific method. If people knew their noise level, then maybe they would shut up.