AC compressors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
abu

AC compressors

Post by abu »

Is it possible to by pass the motor in a thru-the-wall air conditioner compressor and rotate the compressor directly from a two-stroke petrol engine.<p>Thanks
Abu<p>By the way is there a more appropriate forum where I could post this type of question.
Chris Smith

Re: AC compressors

Post by Chris Smith »

On some models only. <p>Some have direct compressors that have a motor and compressor assembly that can be hacked.<p> Others have a “incorporated compressor”, which includes a sealed motor/ compressor assembly.

If you have the motor type that is external, you can connect the AC unit to a gas engine and run the compressor at the proper speed.<p> However keep in mind, the Gas motor’s proximity to the AC intake will suck in all the exhaust gasses unless you make the pump unit very remote, or the exhaust very long,.... etc.

I stripped a wall unit for usage on a chemical water scrubber, but I replaced the motor with a larger one for more efficiency. After it was finished, it would freeze 50 pounds of water in less than ten minutes so I had to tone it down a bit. <p>There is a point or speed at which AC units can be spun, and then they become a waste of energy after that, or blow up due to excess speed. <p>Also the Evaporator is everything, as in getting rid of the heat.
abu

Post by abu »

IS it possible to run a 110V 60HZ (US type) fridge compressor on 150v - 230V 50Hz. <p>I have heard that running a compressor on a voltage lower than its rated voltage can damage it, is there any reason?<p>Thanks
Abu
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

No you cant run it on twice the voltage. <p>The HZ Im not sure of but double the voltage is a no no. <p>You can buy a step down transformer, [huge and expensive] or try a chopper circuit, but the HZ difference I have never tried on a AC unit? <p>We brough many Items to Australia from the US and ran them off the step down transformer quite well, even at the 50 hz 240 volts so it might be possible with the AC unit?
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Doubling the voltage is a last ditch effort for a siezed compressor. It won't last very long if you try it.<p>Running it on a lower frequency will lower the speed. It may also increase the current consumption and overheat.<p>Too low voltage causes overheating because the motor is trying to do it's job with fewer volts, so it takes more amps.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Other than an automotive air conditioner compressor, I've never seen any home units that aren't fully-sealed systems where the motor and compressor is one unit. Refrigerator. Freezer. Through-the-wall/window A/C. Central A/C. A sealed system is better at holding the refrigerant since there aren't any shaft seals to leak.<p>If your intent is to simply have a gasoline-powered A/C, I'd start by going to the junkyard and getting a system from an auto and going that direction. Nice thing about that is that you get the electric clutch so that you don't have to deal with how to cycle the compressor with a gas engine.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.