Touch Sensitive LEDs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

Touch Sensitive LEDs

Post by Newz2000 »

Imagine a grid of LEDs (standard 3 or 5mm) placed closely together. For argument's sake, a 5x5 grid is fine, but really it would be more than that.

Can anyone thing of a way to make the LEDs touch sensitive so that when you touch one of the LEDs it sends a signal like a button press to a microcontroller (maybe via Schmidt trigger).

Should be able to be acomplished with hobby-level skills and tools.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Capacitance
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

wow.... that video is cool. That's way more than I was hoping for, but that would be an interesting project.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

JPKNHTP that site... http://hackedgadgets.com/ is great.. think i just wasted a hour or two looking at some interesting projects.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
philba

Post by philba »

fascinating stuff but the guy suggests that it would be easier to use a photo transistor/emitter pair than the LEDs. I suspect he is right.

now, combine the sensors with the disco LED stuff and there might be a fun project.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but would that thing work in a lighted room? The video suggests the room was dark.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

jimandy wrote:Maybe I missed it somewhere, but would that thing work in a lighted room? The video suggests the room was dark.
He says no on his blog. He says that the ambient light ruined it.

He didn't give much detail though, so I can't help but wonder if he provided an adjustment on his op-amp's gain to account for the lighting if it would work.

Also, the video demonstrates the LEDs providing an analog response, but if a person merely wanted on or off, I wonder if then it could be made to work.

I feel this is too complex for my needs, but it's a really cool idea.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Chris mentioned capacitance. I'm not sure if your application requres LED's. You may already thought of using a matrix of small metal pads as touch sensitive plates using CMOS gates as detectors.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Hi Matt,
Take a look at this chip from Freescale MC33794

I think you could make something out of this. I've got a demo kit named 'KIT33794DWBEVM', but as usual I have not had the time to tinker with it. I got it for free, but I don't know if it is available any more.

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)