Optima Long range cordless phone

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Optima Long range cordless phone

Post by keymaker »

What frequency do they operate on?
It doesn't say in the book :(
bodgy

Re: Optima Long range cordless phone

Post by bodgy »

How old or new a model is it and was it originaly aimed at the US market?<p>
bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Looks damn new
Says
TB 6150<p>Handset antennas are about 1½ feet long
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

OK Omni are an Australian brand - the phone you're talking about is a digital. The CT920 uses DSS @ 900MHz. The up channel is at a slightly different frequency.<p>I note that in the US ranges of 45Klm are quoted there are two things to note.<p>1) The specs for US intended phones maybe different to Australia/Europe.<p>2) This range even at 1Klm is line of sight - so bung a bump, hill , or cow in the way and your transmission path is serverely curtailed.<p>1Klm = 1.6 miles UK I believe US miles are shorter or longer!<p>
bodgy<p>[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Bad math Bodge, dyslexic math?
One mile is 1 point 6 KM!<p>Point 62 is the formulae.<p>[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Ooops,<p>I like my formula better - it confuses more people.<p>OTOH you are talking to someone who thought a java programming error said 'Error Getting Date', and started a humourous chatboard thread only to be told later on that it actually said 'Error Getting DATA'. <p>I need a new monitor, that's my excuse.<p>bodgy
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I thought it was the island of coffee, until I went there?
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

But it is an optima...
Are you saying that it's a clone of the Omni??<p>Only spec I have is, Antenna impedance 50 ohms...
*sigh*
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Damn - I'm sure my brain isn't in good working order.<p>No Optima and Omni are not the same. <p>Now lets have a rethink - First there should actually be a little sticker near where the s/n is stating it's frequency and possibly the (for the US) FCC compliability. Now you say that the handset has a 1' aerial or so - If that's is the handset and not the base station then I'd be more inclind to go with my pre-edit answer that was 30-37MHz and anything up to 100 channels.<p>If the base station has a short and a long aerial then this could be a DSS 900 MHz phone like the Omni and Panasonic - If it were to be a DECT or other DSS or Bluetooth it would be up in the 2.4GHz region and have very short stubby aerials - and the handset one would be similar to a mobile GSM phone (cell phone).<p>What is the average price for these phones retail? If less than U$150 and if they are cheap looking then they could well be made by either Alcatel Asia or the other Singapore company that makes phones for Telstra, British Telecom. DeutscheKom etc. <p>If it is made in China then it will either be coming out of the Audioline/Doro factory or it will be coming out of the Uniden factory - though it is unlikley to be one of their designed phones, it would have been a contract build.<p>If you can take the handset to pieces and see if the components are on both sides of the board or if they are just on one.<p>If on one, there is only one company that I know of who design retail phones IE non business in that manner.<p>Colin
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

So what should I do to test it and find out what freq it uses?
It doesn't say anywhere, Just calls for an antenna with a 50 ohm impedance
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

TTTTT
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Heyman, Take a hint!