Work Bench Table

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Julius

Work Bench Table

Post by Julius »

Does anybody know any website that sale an refurbished work bench table?
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Have u tried Craigslist.com??
jollyrgr

How About Roll Your Own?

Post by jollyrgr »

How about making your own? This can be done rather cheaply or expensive. And it can be done with hand tools, if needed.

I built my own by using a couple low end base cabinets ($40 each), a thrifty 8 foot counter top ($15), and three 2x4 boards.

Get yourself a cheap kitchen counter top; nothing fancy. I got a "thrifty white" with backsplash. I say $15 but it was probably less. These are pressed wood (but don't let that scare you) and have a laminated surface.

Base cabinets can be had in many sizes. I went with cheap unpainted, unstained bases that were one foot in width. These are $40 or so a piece. If you catch someone remodeling their kitchen, you might get some for FREE.

How I built mine was quite simple. I set the countertop upside down back facing me, on the two base cabinets. I then laid three 2x4s, long edge vertical, on the bottom of the counter top. I trimmed them down so that I could fit a short piece of 2x4 along each end to form a box out of the 2x4s. These 2x4 pieces run the depth of the countertop. I put two screws into the edges of the long 2x4s. Then into each of the long 2x4s I put three screws, evenly spaced, that just went through the 2x4 and into the countertop. I then flipped this assembly over and fastened it to the base cabinets.

My mom was over and made a nice observation. She suggested setting the base cabinets in a foot so that the span between supports was not as long (four feet instead of six). What a brilliant idea (thanks Mom!). This beast will hold anything; including my fat arse standing on it. It is about three inches higher than a standard kitchen counter but I could have fixed that if I cut notches in the base cabinets. I chose not to and okay with the added height. Should I have to move it I remove eight screws and the top will separate from the base cabinets. Remove nine more screws and I can separate the countertop from the support. This set me back under $100 and made a very sturdy, easy to clean, work surface.

I picked white for the surface color as it makes finding dropped screws real easy. Greasy stains from mechanical devices, drops of solder, etc. wipe up easily. Scratches are minimal.

I have also added power along the top of the back splash. This was four quad outlet boxes mounted to a 2x4 with conduit run between them. One spot was for a switch which left 14 outlets in an 8 foot area. You don't have to make the outlets permanent and mine is connected using a heavy duty power cord (from an "outdoor" extension cord).

Hope this is of some use....
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
jwax

Post by jwax »

I did almost the same as jollyrgr-
Mounted 6' counter top (white-cheap), with backsplash atop two cheap 4-drawer modules from Walmart. Lots of storage!