Build an MP3 player?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Build an MP3 player?

Post by Mike »

I know there are many designs for building an MP3 player avaliale on the internet, but they are all so complicated.<p>Is there a way to use a microcontroller, hardware interface, mp3 decoder to do this? I do not need an LCD, becuase that would only make it more difficult.<p>Is there a simple, cheap way to do this? Does anybody know of some simple schematics for this?<p>my drive is 5GB.
But, a flash mem card would be nice if it would be easy to use.<p>Thanks!
-mike
ljbeng

Re: Build an MP3 player?

Post by ljbeng »

http://www.walrus.com/~raphael/html/mp3.html
$123 kit
or<p>www.tetraphon.com
$150 done<p>Circuit cellar had an article about interfacing a pic to a compact flash. Then you will need an MP3 decoder data sheet.<p>www.vlsi.fi/datasheets/vs1001.pdf
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Poptronics (maybe it was Popular Electronics) had an article on how to build a portable MP3 player with minimal parts and a hard drive that ran off of batteries. Give me some time to go through my back issues to find it.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Mike

Post by Mike »

OK thank you.<p>$150 is way too much for me.<p>i was searching my pc, and came across the schematics for the yampp player. i have to look up the website, but it seems simple.<p>please look for that article.<p>Thank you!
-Mike
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

OK, I found the article. It's in the January 2002 Poptronics on page 27. The article is 11 1/4 pages long! The mp3 player uses a HDD controlled by a 87C52-SBAA microcontroller. It also uses a LCD screen to help you select/manage your music. There is a complete kit available at PJRC for $150. They have a page for the player there, along with links for older versions of a mp3 player. Once on the link page, there are further links to other designs. Let us know how it works out!<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?