low voltage pic

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

low voltage pic

Post by Newz2000 »

Someone here mentioned a while back that they were able to run some PICs below 2v (the rated min that I know of). Out of curiosity, what circuit do you devise so that you will know it's running?

Anyone had any luck running a PIC with the internal oscillator below 2v?
KamPutty

Re: low voltage pic

Post by KamPutty »

Newz2000 wrote:Someone here mentioned a while back that they were able to run some PICs below 2v (the rated min that I know of). Out of curiosity, what circuit do you devise so that you will know it's running?

Anyone had any luck running a PIC with the internal oscillator below 2v?
hi there,

When I turn my power down <2v with my pic10f206, it stops. I'm using the internal osc at 4mhz. Are you wanting to run <2v or just handle a short time <2v?

~Kam (^8*
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Newz2000 wrote: Anyone had any luck running a PIC with the internal oscillator below 2v?
Hello Newz not sure if you are aware... But TI's MSP line for Micro's have the best low power consumption.

Low Supply Voltage Range 1.8 V to 3.6 V
Ultralow-Power Consumption
− Active Mode: 220 μA at 1 MHz, 2.2 V
− Standby Mode: 0.5 μA
− Off Mode (RAM Retention): 0.1 μA

It was one the first micros introduced to me... I found it very easy to use.. and have been for years..

Heres a data sheet for the MSP430x20x1

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f2001.pdf

Good luck
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Sambuchi wrote: Hello Newz not sure if you are aware... But TI's MSP line for Micro's have the best low power consumption.

Low Supply Voltage Range 1.8 V to 3.6 V
Ultralow-Power Consumption
− Active Mode: 220 μA at 1 MHz, 2.2 V
− Standby Mode: 0.5 μA
− Off Mode (RAM Retention): 0.1 μA

It was one the first micros introduced to me... I found it very easy to use.. and have been for years..

Heres a data sheet for the MSP430x20x1

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f2001.pdf

Good luck
Thanks! I'm thinking about going to this free conference they're having all over the country. They're giving out a free programmer that plugs into a computer's usb port at the show.

I know a few people who love those chips, and since you can program them in C (even using GCC!) I'm eager to try them out.

When people use these low voltage processors, do they usually work with similarly configured low voltage parts (for example, I'll also need a 4017 style decade counter) or do they use dual voltages on their circuit?
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Newz2000 wrote:
Sambuchi wrote: When people use these low voltage processors, do they usually work with similarly configured low voltage parts (for example, I'll also need a 4017 style decade counter) or do they use dual voltages on their circuit?
Well, I would guess there would be little amount of IC's that would run on less than 2 volts ... but why even bother!!! You can code a decade counter with 10 lines of code :!:

Any logic you have on your circuit you should put on the mico and bump up that efficiency :D

And those MSP conferences are the best thing. I went to one last year in Dallas. They will give you a small board and code for over 50 applications :shock: You will get started on the right foot.