X-10 noise

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

X-10 noise

Post by frhrwa »

I'm using the X10 switches to turn on my porch and outside lighting. I've gone to the Smarthome unit that will switch flourescent lights, but since I changed, they won't shut off automatically.. you can use the switch to turn them off, and they will auto on, but no auto off.. the signal flashes the LED when they aren't on if you press the off on the controller, but if they are on, it does nothing.. like the ballast in these lamps eats my signal?.. Smarthome has a filter for this they say, what does it consist of?.. :cool:
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Chris Smith

Re: X-10 noise

Post by Chris Smith »

Often, a simple cure for any fluro circuit is nothing more than a resistive load. When I want fluros to turn on, I incorporate a small light bulb in the circuit, any where from 5 watts up to 15 watts. <p>The resistive load keeps the SCRs in loop, allowing it to turn on with out failure, and so far, off as well, possibly forming a closed loop which catches or loops unwanted stray hash?<p>Resistors also work.<p>[ December 08, 2004: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
gerty

Post by gerty »

A friend wants to control a small pump in a water fountain and I was thinking of using x-10 for it.
It's a 1/5 hp 120v motor do you think I'll encounter any of the above problems?
Or would it be better to have the x-10 control a relay?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A relay is always advised with motors. <p>Some motors use caps as the feed, and this will give you problems.<p> The start surge alone is a good reason, especially with larger motors, and it just makes sense.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I use X10 to control my ceiling fan, fluorescent lights, and even a heavy duty air circulator (high velocity fan). The heavy duty fan uses a relay controled, GROUNDED, X10 module. From the X10 site it is part number AM466. It is rated for 1/3 HP, 15Amps. See this device:<p>http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_am466.htm<p>For the fluorescent light and ceiling fan I had to cheat. I went with the X10 Pro line. For the fluorescent light I got a wall switch module designed for switching motor loads. In other words it has a relay in it. See XPS3 at http://www.x10pro.com For the ceiling fan I got a module that fits into the electrical box the ceiling fan mounts to. You could do the same thing with this type of module for a light as well. See XPFM at above link. Both modules respond to the ALL LIGHTS ON command. There is one minor drawback to the X10 Pro line, you have to be a distributor for X10Pro to purchase those items. But that is extremely easy. You go to the X10pro link above. Click on the FIND A DISTRIBUTOR link and call 1-800-X10-INFO. I called this number and was given a URL to sign up as a distributor. You enter your name, shipping address and a credit card number (I used a temporary "online" card when I signed up.) They will then give you access to these parts. I was then able to order from the X10 Pro line as a distrbutor. In fact I did all of this online and called the X10 sales number and was able to purchase X10Pro items less than one minute after signing up!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

SmartHome another site to check out for your switches.. X-10 site too
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

I called the number, a very nice lady told me that I could not be a distributor because I would need a retail store front, so I guess since I wasnt prepared to lie that I cant be a distributor and I cant buy from them.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by paulrevelcet:
I called the number, a very nice lady told me that I could not be a distributor because I would need a retail store front, so I guess since I wasnt prepared to lie that I cant be a distributor and I cant buy from them.<hr></blockquote><p>Try calling back. Or go to the http://www.x10.com site and ask for help. You need to get the "RIGHT" person to help. Maybe by calling X10 and not X10Pro you will get a NICE operator that is willing to help. The guy knew I was not a distributor and gave me the URL anyway. All that was required was a credit card on file. I simply generated an ONLINE purchase credit card number with a limit just a couple dollars more than my purchase. The expiration date was 30 days away. The computer system validated the card and didn't care. All of a sudden I'm a distributor and can order PRO parts. Maybe things changed but I did this last spring/summer.<p>.........EDIT.......<p>
What the heck! I found the link! It is at the www.x10.com site. Here is the URL:<p>
http://www.x10.com/pro/reseller_info.htm<p>
Note that it is free! You enter your e-mail address and they send the link I got from the guy on the phone. (It has to be a working e-mail address or you won't get the information you need.) I don't know why the lady gave you grief. It even says right on the site that you can get access to the X10 PRO line and even get special "discounts" and a two year warranty using this program.<p>[ December 09, 2004: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

why do you need to be a distributor to purchase?.. I've been buying from these guys for 4 or 5 years, and have never even been asked that question.. I even have a coupon number that I use at Smarthome to get a control box free when I buy $100 or more.. EA200412
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

wayne,<p>I have bought many items at the regular www.x10.com site without problem. But there are some 40 other items at the www.x10pro.com site that you cannot buy at the regular site. I know, I tried. That is how I found out about signing up as a distributor. The operator at the x10 phone system said he could sell me the x10Pro stuff only if I was a distributor. He then gave me the URL to get to the sign up page. While on the phone with him I signed up. About a minute later he saw me in the system as a distributor and "magically" I was able to buy the parts I wanted. <p>I have no idea why they do that or why the one operator gave paulrevelcet static about becoming a distributor. Once I knew what I was looking for I was able to find the sign up request link I posted above. I must of missed the part where they said I have to have a store front. Or maybe the operator I got ahold of didn't care and wanted a commission on even a small $60 order. <p>The items I ordered were only slightly more complex than a standard x10 items. It did require that I know what a neutral wire was and how to wire it to a wall switch, something you don't do with the "standard" x10 line devices. The controller for the ceiling fan was no more complex than others I could have picked up at Home Depot. The only difference was the fact that they worked with the x10 system. <p>If the "real" x10 people give you problems, try this vendor:
http://www.x10-store.com/<p>They appear to be a distributor and have the Pro line available.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

Jolly... are they cheaper priced than Smarthome?.. just browsing through, looks like they have just about the same items..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

well, I bought one of their inline filters and installed it into the light circuit.. 39.95 and that didn't work.. so I bought a 10amp line filter that plugs into the wall and my new stove plugs into that.. since that's the only change that I've incorporated since I installed these switches.. that didn't work.. now I'm up around $250.00 just for a light switch that will work with flourescents.. SO DON'T BELIEVE WHAT ANY OF THESE X-10 SALES PEOPLE TELL YOU! They do not support their product, anybody can say, "well try this".. at your expense, this could go on and on and on...
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Try the dime store approach? <p>Add in one Christmas tree bulb, or up to 15 watts, and see what happens? <p>You can always replace this with a couple hundred ohm resistor, if it works?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

already tried that one.. didn't work either.. good idea tho..