SCI to the PC

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikeb

SCI to the PC

Post by mikeb »

my problem is trying to get the 68hc11 to communicate with a temperature software program on my pc. the program uses com2 at 4800 baud, 1 stop bit , 8 data bits, and no parity and is bundled with the mcu and eeprom. i was able to set these requirement on my pc for com 2. im also able to get the mcu to to pulse the txd pin of a max232. i have check my cable connection to the pc for continuity and i can detect this same pulse when it's transmitted over the cable to the pc serial port. my cable is wired so that pin 7 of the db-9 from the max232 which is gnd is connected to the pc's db-9 pin5, pin2 of the max232 bd-9 is RxD and is connected to the pc's db-9 pin3 TxD,pin3 of the max232 db-9 is TxD and is connected to the pc's db-9 pin2 RxD. With these connection which all seem to be correct the mcu and eeprom still wont communicate with the software. i know that the mcu and eeprom are workin correctly because the eeprom also contains a diagnostic program that test several function's of the mcu, all these features are workin properly. it appears to me that something is not set correctly on the pc and the mcu is waiting for some type of datafrom the pc to boot up the program. if any one has any info they can share with me to get this preogram to work properly it would be most appreciated.