Digital Controlled Pressure Switch

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
chapter30

Digital Controlled Pressure Switch

Post by chapter30 »

I'm looking for a component that will take a small pressure input and allow me to switch it through three different ports using some sort of electronic control. A 2 bit digital signal would be ideal but I can work with any type of input. Does anyone know of a product like this and what a generic name would be for it?<p>I'm sorry but I do not have the exact pressure on hand right now.
Newz2000

Re: Digital Controlled Pressure Switch

Post by Newz2000 »

What kind of pressure? Air pressure, water pressure, something being pressed like a button, or maybe pressure from your wife to clean the garage...<p>I've been looking at pressure sensors (aka pressure senders) to measure the vacuum on an automotive engine. You can get these from auto-parts stores. We're not sure how they work yet, but our *guess* is that they put out an analog voltage signal proportinate to the pressure (more pressure, more volts).<p>You could then read it with an analog-to-digital sensor and discard all but the two most signficant bits.<p>[ August 19, 2005: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]<p>[ August 19, 2005: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]</p>
philba

Post by philba »

As matt says, lot depends on what you are measuring. Is it a fluid pressure or load pressure? There are thousands of of sensors for measuring liquid or gas pressure. For contact load pressure you should look at load cells (futek.com, for example). <p>For touch pressure, Peratech has a substrate that looks pretty good. resistance varies inversely to force. They have several forms that may be what you need. I've had a background thought to experiment with this stuff for some time now.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

It *sounds* like you're looking for a solenoid valve pressure manifold. Are you trying to to direct a source of pressure from one input to one of three outputs? If I understood you, then look at South Bend controls, they have a bunch of multiple port solenoid valves and manifolds. I don't know the prices, tho.<p>Matt:
If you're still reading this thread, did you get the parts?
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

Ahh yes,<p>Engineer1138 has it correct. I'm not interested in measuring the pressure. I am looking to port an air pressure to one of three locations. <p>Sorry for my absence on this board. I forgot all about this project.<p>Thanks for the advice.