unipolar stepper motor questions

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikeb

unipolar stepper motor questions

Post by mikeb »

thanks guys for the good suggestions about the lcd. i havent yet tryed anything been busy with a stepper project im workin on as well, but i will let you guys know what the outcome is as soon as i get a chance to install the diode an cap. my question now is on the subject of stepper motors.
im trying to use a stepper thats rated at 5 volts 1 amp, interfaced with a stepper motor controller ic. the ic controls the stepper direction an speed the ic works just fine. my problem is with the stepper motor. the ic has 4 four phase outputs, one for each coil, the data sheet for the ic has a connection diagram for connecting the ic to motors rated 500ma up to 10 amps. the diagram has each phase output connected to a series base resistor of the mje3055 power transistor. the emitter lead is at ground with the collector pull to +5 volts thru a reverse biased diode.each mje3055 collector is also connected to a coil of the stepper. theory says this setup should work pretty good. my problem is that when the stepper ic has the motor coils disabled the transistors should be cuttoff with +5 volts across collector to emitter, im measuring a volt around .028 millivolts. when the ic engergizes either coil im measuring zero volts but the motor does not turn. i tryed the circuit with the diodes removed an the collector pulled high to +5volts and the measured voltages across Vce with no signal at the base, it was correct an when a signal is present the voltage drops to zero as it should,but then when i apply signals to the ic to control the stepper the power supply voltage for the stepper drops and the motor still wont respond. im using 2 different sources in the circuit. the ic is controlled by a 5volt circuit that also powers the microcontroller board. and the stepper motor since it requires so much current to operate i have controlled by a 12dc input to a 7805 regulator. the 7805 has a 100 microfarad cap across the iput an a ...1mf cap across the out for filtering. any sugesstions on why the circuit is acting this way id appreciate very much.
mikeb

Re: unipolar stepper motor questions

Post by mikeb »

this is the website for the shecmaticede1200/page5 of data sheet
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

this is the website for the schematic page 5www.elabinc.com
bwts

Post by bwts »

Dont know which schematics ur looking at but I couldnt find the one u mentioned in ur post! The modules in the data sheets r wired straight up 2 the motors.<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah