Wireless phone extension

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

Re: Wireless phone extension

Post by cato »

The more I think about it, the more I thing what you really want is a wireless network, which would probably cost about the same as the way your heading, and probably be more successful.... but to answer your questions (as if i were qualified to do so):

I don't thing it matters, base/handset. It would never occur to me to do it to the handset, for the reasons you identified. Additionally, I think that altitude will have more effect than anything else. (They call them cell towers, not cell porches :-) ) Thats why I suggested you get another base unit and put it in the attic...If thats not practical, then instead of investing in antenna mounted on the porch, I would suggest trying just placing the base unit on the porch for test purposes...The outside antenna idea is probably a good one, but again.... i would suggest mounting it near the roof line... not close to the ground.
cato

Post by cato »

by the way, I'm not sure they make a wireless router that works with dialup.... if anyone knows, please let us know.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

problem being, most cordless phones don't have jacks on them for modems, etc.. that I know of anyway.. may be wrong.. as to the punch.. when I was in Friday Harbor, my buddy and I tested different cordless phones for signal strength and signal quality.. there is one made in Oregon, starts with a V that blew ALL the rest of the phones away.. we put the base station in his office.. a brick building, tons of electronics, flourescent lighting, etc.. went across the street to coffee and received calls like we were on a regular phone.. I just can't for the life of me remember the make.. it will come back I'm sure, and I'll post it as soon as I remember.. its that over 50's thing, you know?... oh.. another question, which way is your phone line fed? does it pass by the bldg in question? or is there a pedestal (telephone connection point) near this bldg?..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Originally posted by cato:
by the way, I'm not sure they make a wireless router that works with dialup.... if anyone knows, please let us know.
If the XP OS is installed on a PC located in the house it could be set up to share it's internet connection. I haven't ever tried it but it would seem to me that if your PC's were on a wireless LAN they could share the dialup connection. I think that there is telephony software for PC's out there too but I don't have a name or anything like that. VOiP? I don't know... To me it would be easier to make a little 900mHz directional antenna wire it to the base unit, and point it at the building.

<small>[ December 25, 2005, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: NE5U ]</small>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I'm not sure about wireless, but my 10/100 ethernet LAN runs 3 computers through shared dialup (soon to be 4). I believe that as long as they are networked, you can share an internet connection, regardless of the type. I even read somewhere that you can have a computer on the network dial the host computer's modem, though I'm not sure where that setting is. XP makes it easy to share your 'net connection. Now it's my turn to try it on Win98...

As for your original question, why not run some shielded wire from both the base and the handset antennae connection points (inside their respective cases) to a point outside the house/outbuilding, preferably where they are opposite each other, and strip enough of the sheathing away to approximate the physical length of the respective antennae? Usually, just getting some form of antenna outside the offending blockage will restore reception.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?