On Target: In the Trenches, July 05

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
EPA III

On Target: In the Trenches, July 05

Post by EPA III »

I haven't hung around here much or made many posts, but perhaps that will change. So, I hope this is not out of line for this board. If so, shout me down and I will go away --- NOT! <p>I just read the "In the Trenches" column, titled "Managing Engineers", in the July issue of N&V. This is not really a late thing on my part as I am generally about 4-6 months behind in my reading. <p>I found that Mr. Fonte's piece is so on track that it is not funny. I have been a TV engineer ever since leaving the Army in '69. I have worked both sides of the management desk and have seen many (upper) managers who just don't have a clue. You couldn't fnid a worse fit than engineers in a business where the main product is BS. I have worked for and hated every single problem he mentions. Not only do these managers exist, they are legion. Somehow, it helps a little to know that I am not alone. <p>This is one of the best and perhaps potentially most useful articles that this magazine has ever published. It makes up (well almost) for all the many technical errors they ahve published over the years. I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so: Bravo! Well Done! <p>And, Thank You!
Paul A.
Donald S. Lambert

Re: On Target: In the Trenches, July 05

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Hi Paul,
Some of those articles (In The Trenchs) are good. While I worked at a high tech place I wasn't associated with the electronics end but the sheetmetal mechanical end. Stuff the electronics gets installed on. I dealt with the engineers but not their superiors. I was in quality control as an inspector and there's many a slip up between the sketch of a preliminary design and final production design. Some engineers just couldn't understand how someone without a degree could be right. I retired Dec of 1987.<p>In 1953 or 54 I visited a friend that was going to Parson's College in Fairfiled which went down the drain after he got his degree. He was later a supervisor in a plant (Sylvania) that made vacuum tubes. A tour of that plant was a very interesting experience. Greybie.