Battery Acid Leak on Circuit Board

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Smitty

Battery Acid Leak on Circuit Board

Post by Smitty »

I have a bunch of devices I bought surplus, most have button cell watch batteries pre-installed and have leaked. Several of the items don't work, some do work. Is there any kind of cleaning chemical I can use to clean up the circuit board after removing the batteries? After cleaning the circuit boards will my items work again? If not, what usually is affected from battery acid damage? Any help is appreciated.<p>
Smitty
Chris Smith

Re: Battery Acid Leak on Circuit Board

Post by Chris Smith »

Baking soda and a tooth brush cleans the acid off, with warm to hot water preferably. Dry off with isopropyl alcohol in necessary.
russlk

Post by russlk »

Use #30 Krynar (wire wrap) wire to repair circuit traces that have been eaten away.
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

The dishwashing liquid used in automatic dishwashers is good for final wash of circuit boards. Not good for your hands.
What you want is something that leaves little residue.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

As was pointed out to me, you should do a rinse or two with distilled water.
rckbrwn

Post by rckbrwn »

Many small cells of that type are alkaline based. A weak acid is required to nutralize the electrolyte. Then, rinse repeatedly with distilled water. However, circuit boards absorb
this conductive mix and as a result become permanently conductive. The board may or may not ever work again depending on the impedance levels of that part of the circuit.<p>Rick
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Acid and Alkaline both react with baking soda and both naturalize equally. They form a salt in most cases and this salt is conductive and must be removed. A small scrubbing on most battery areas is sufficient, but if the salt, acid, or alkaline migrates to other areas, it can affect the circuit board in a greater way.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thanks everyone, your suggestions have been very helpful.<p>Smitty