Scanner Chip?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Scanner Chip?

Post by Mike »

I took apart a scanner that quit working. Everything worked but the USB interface. Upon opening it, I found a remoweable 32-Pin DIP chip. I am curious what it is, and if it could be useful in other projects. It has a white sticker on top covering the words printed on the top of the chip. The sticker says "DOL-2K01 SM5600 V1.0" and the bottom of the chip says "TAIWAN RA GN21510101" Thanks for the help.<p>-Mike
Calcbert

Re: Scanner Chip?

Post by Calcbert »

Can't be sure, but I'd definitely bet it's something like an EPROM programmed with a custom piece of software for that scanner. Unless you have the same scanner with that chip missing, it's probably useless to you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I don't know much about EPROMS, but as you said that it isn't useful, I assume it cannot be reprogammed? If so, what could its uses be?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well, I peeled the label off, and under it was the words Winbond, then W29EE011-90 on the next line, then 136GN211510101RA. I searched google for Winbond W29EE011-90, and found out that it is a CMOS 128k x 8 flash memory chip. Could that be useful at all to me?<p>Mike