triac problems..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: triac problems..

Post by dacflyer »

i am not just using neon i am using other lights as well , also you say neon doesn't need a transformer...then how do you explain getting
120v steped up to 7.5kv - 15kv then ?
i also make neon too, so i am up to par on that, i know they make switching supplies for them too, but still it is a step up process..and switching supplies i don;t like using with neon,,i like the old transformer types better, ( brute force )
russlk

Post by russlk »

A neon lamp cannot be dimmed like an incandescent lamp because it operates like an arc discharge. It is either arcing or not. Pulse width modulation would work for both if you had a constant pulse amplitude. In other words, convert to DC then PWM. With a frequency of 30 to 50 kHz, the transformer for the neon would be cheaper and smaller
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Hmmm, funny i been dimming neon for many years now, it can be dimmed quite a bit before it actually does extinguish, i have dimmed neon as much as 75% , usually i have a higher rated voltage transformer,than needed ,also the footage of neon is a factor too..too much neon and it will not dim much at all before flickering out.
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

If you using high voltage neon run the power as per normal and use a canceling signal, no transformer needed, to interfere with the normal current flow. Do the opposite of what you have been doing. Dont control the power, interfere with it as a cancelong agent. There are may ways to do this including magnetic field switching. If your using DC to drive the tubes, a small insertion of AC will cancel out the DC by interference, and many other methods are available.