Daytime running lights and wig wags

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Deputydawg

Daytime running lights and wig wags

Post by Deputydawg »

Hi
I have a DRL system on my car already just a relay Non factory and i need to add the wig-wag headlight flasher system.So when i activate the headlight flasher the drl relay needs to go off so the headlights can flash. <p>
Yes this legal in my town because i only will be using this system for our town's parade(s) comming up soon. so any advice would help me a lot thanks in adv.<p>Someone said to try a center off switch but if i forget about it the drl's will be off. So i guess i need something along that line.<p>Thanks again <p>Buford
jollyrgr

Re: Daytime running lights and wig wags

Post by jollyrgr »

This can be done with a SPDT relay, a flasher, and a DPDT switch (with center off if you want to kill the DTLs).<p>I will try to describe my circuit as best I can. It is real simple when drawn but....<p>Start with a DPDT switch. The positions will be L, C, and R for Left, Center, and Right. Since there are TWO POLES or switches I will call one A and the other B. This will require a separate wire run to the driver side and passenger side lights. For sake of arguement the driver's side will be A and the passenger side will be B.<p>Connect both of the center or wiper terminals of the switch to +12V from the existing DTL power. I strongly suggest that you do this because your lights will be turned off when the key is off as things work now no matter the position of the new switch.<p>Connect the "RIGHT A" of the switch to one headlight, connect the "RIGHT B" of the switch to the other. When the switch is in the RIGHT position both DTLs will receive power when the key is on. <p>The next few steps will be tricky. Connect a SPDT relay coil to a flasher. Ground the other side of the coil. Connect the "LEFT A" switch terminal to the flasher input. Connect the "LEFT B" of the switch to the WIPER of the relay. Thus when the relay is in the left position the relay wiper will receive power and the coil will click on and off. (You may need to add a resistor or light bulb in parallel to the relay coil to get the flasher to flash properly.) This next step is where you might get confused. Connect the NC terminal of the relay contacts to the "RIGHT A" of the switch and the NO terminal of the relay contacts to the "RIGHT B" of the switch. Draw out the schematic and it will become quite obvious. What you have done is provided two ways for the lights to receive power. From the RIGHT side both lights receive power. When the switch is in the RIGHT position the lights receive constant power. When the switch is in the left position only one light at a time receives power, depending on the relay's state. But by connecting the contacts of the relay to the right side of the switch, you save yourself extra wiring.<p>Now when the switch is in the Center position the DTL will be off no matter what position the key is in. When the Switch is in the RIGHT position the DTL will run normally. When in the left position the power to the lights will have to pass through the relay wiper; and since the relay coil will be powered through a flasher, it will be clicking on and off; alternating the two headlights. <p>I hope you can understand this circuit such that you can make it.<p>[ July 08, 2004: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Deputydawg

Post by Deputydawg »

Thanks so much Jolly Roger.
ajc-28

Post by ajc-28 »

Amperite Company, West New york NJ, 800 752 2329, manufactures a Wig-Wag flasher for vehicles. Check their website www.amperite.com
ajc-28

Post by ajc-28 »

The Amperite Wig-Wag flasher is the DFW Series. The spec sheet is on the internet at www.amperite.com