Switch confusion_1, not sure what I'm looking for...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrFixIt

Switch confusion_1, not sure what I'm looking for...

Post by MrFixIt »

This is my first post here and I wanted to start off by saying "howdy." <p>My problem is I'm not quite sure what device I need or should be considering. I'm looking for a device to attach to my computer's front bezel which is plastic (needs to be carved into for custom fitting for the device). Due to limited space, it should be small and will do several things. <p>I'd like it to turn on the computer, flash the LED's maybe flashing a word in morse code, and trigger the noise device I plan to install in my computer all at once and perhaps separate when I don't want to turn on my computer in a flashy manner. One last thing, I'd like it to do this with a remote that'll fit on my keychain. Kinda like the car alarm ones or power lock remote which pops your trunk.<p>From what I gathered searching around on google, I think what I'll need is a remote IR or RF switch? Right? Someone also mentioned a BASIC stamp but I wasn't sure if that would be what I'm looking for or the right solution.<p>I didn't quite find what I needed while searching and was hoping to find some suggestions here. If I was looking for the right device(s) and all are possibilites, which would be the best and/or most cost effective solutions? If not, what should I be looking for? Where can I find it? Kits or am I looking for separate parts? Sorry for all the question and I appreciate the feedback.<p>
Regards,
Gordie
Will work for components!
perfectbite

Re: Switch confusion_1, not sure what I'm looking for...

Post by perfectbite »

Gordie, It seems to me that you really want a teeny tiny, specially shaped, multi function programmable computer which is also a detachable, variably sequenced computer connected master switch with various activation modes. <p>In looking at your requirements I take it that a velcro fastener for this device wouldn't have the panache you are looking for. <p>Perhaps, using a very well surge protected X10 I/0 module and its transmitter and adapting a wireless mouse, activated by a small garage door opener transmitter which controls a right click solenoid plunger mounted in a small, nicely finished, ventilated walnut box, to run a number of dedicated start up programs. 1 right click one program, 2 right clicks another and so on would do? <p>The box could also be equipped with quite presentable touch switches to bypass the remote's controls and even have its own LED display. <p>I personally would not know where to start coming up with such programs and circuits. I just didn't like to see your post receiving 0 replies.<p>[ June 28, 2004: Message edited by: perfectbite ]</p>
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Turning on the computer by remote control keychain is the easy part. Get one of those remote door lock kits for your car (<$50) and connect the relay output across the power switch. <p>In an ATX computer, all you need to do to power it on is push the momentary switch on the front panel which is powered by the motherboard at 5V or less. In an AT motherboard, you would need to switch 110V to do this and a latching relay.<p>Finding a place to mount a switch and LED on a PC front panel should not be a problem, you can wire them to a circuit board placed just about anywhere convenient in the chassis and power it from the PC supply. <p>As for what this circuit does I will leave to you for now but whatever that is, it can start as soon as you power it and stop a few moments later. A sequential counting circiuit (look up state machine in a basic logic design text) can acomplish the blinking pattern using 74xx logic and what you need for the noise depends on what the noise is.
MrFixIt

Post by MrFixIt »

[email protected] appreciate the pity post :) <p>
Thanks for the info, haklesup. The motherboard is an ATX one. I didn't quite understand the setup you described for it though. I wanted to be able to turn on the computer from either just pressing the remote control when I am in range or pressing the main "ON" button on the front bezel. From what I understood in the your description, I would have press the main power button first/switch to get it in a ready state before being able to turn it competely on with the remote? I think I also missed difference in meaning between "momentary" and "latching".<p>I understood the part about the LED's and noise device being trigger by making a sequential counting circuit that'll run through the sequence when activated but how would this circuit be connected? For instance, would I connect the circuit to the relay which is in turn connected to the switch? Or switch then relay? Or some other sort of connection? Sorry, my electronics background is lacking quite a bit.<p>I think I found something that comes closer to the solution you described: Remote RF relay board<p>It just doesn't have a switch.<p>I also need to find out the specs of the power supply I intend on getting and see if everything will be kosher.<p>Appreciate the help and thanks again!<p>Regards,
Gordie
Will work for components!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Momentary means the switch is on only while you hold the button. Latching means the switch or relay stays on indefinately when activated until switched back or a reset button is pushed. <p>The remote control you indicated will work great. The two blue blocks on the PCB are relays and they are normally open and momentary. The terminal strip allows connection to its contacts (both the no and the nc contacts, you only need the no contact). One is to lock the doors and one is to unlock them but you only need one. YOu can use the other for something else like making the noise whenever you want.<p>The power switch on the front of your PC is a momentary normally open switch, so is the relay on the reciever. When wired in parallel you have a wired "OR" in other words,you can use either switch to power up the PC.<p>Of course the reciever has to be powered all the time so you need to look at the ATX power supply in the PC and figure out which output is hot all the time (this is the source that powers the MB just enough to listen for the switch or other power up signals like Wake on LAN.) Use this to power the reciever. Look at the label on the P/S.<p>Once the PC starts powering up, all the other supples will come on, now you have plenty of power for the sound/flasher circuit. It starts doing it's thing as soon as that power comes on. OR you can also wire its start button to the other relay on the reciever.<p>With the relay in parallel with the power switch, it can also be used to turn the PC off. Check the BIOS and windows settings to control what happens when you push the power button. I prefer "ask Me" setting over instant off.