Tail light converter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Odie

Tail light converter

Post by Odie »

I was looking for a schematic for a tail light converter. My car has separate wires for brake and turn lights but my trailer uses one wire for both. Does anyone know how to make one?<p>Thanks for your input. You're right...I went to Walmart and bought one for $13.00. I make so much stuff, sometimes I overlook the obvious.<p>[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]</p>
russlk

Re: Tail light converter

Post by russlk »

I think it may be just as easy to wire in a new tail light, but if you want a project, I posted a solution at: http://www.geocities.com/russlk/BRAKEDIR.gif<p>You may have to copy and paste the URL into the address bar because geocities does not allow links.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

That identical question popped up in the "Q & A" column in Poptronics magazine this year. Although the original answer left something to be desired, a subsequent reader input provided two schematics, one using bipolar transistors and the other using MOSFETs. The original question was in the May 2002 issue but I can't remember where the correction/retraction/reader input was (after that, obviously!).<p>However, I recommend that you simply buy the adaptor from a camping supply place such as Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com)or a local RV dealer. Any circuit you build will be larger, probably more expensive, need to be weather-proofed, have to withstand vibration/heat/cold/weather and last (but not least) must be totally reliable since we don't want folks plowing into the back of your trailer because the brake lights failed to work properly.<p>If your trailer has electric brakes, the same recommendation applies, but more so. Folks hauling around travel trailers and fifth-wheel trailers have been doing this for a long time and manufacturers have responded to the various needs such as this.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Thanks for your time.