induction heating effects on conductor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Larry Woods

induction heating effects on conductor

Post by Larry Woods »

I have recently done inspection on building electrical distribution and found some securing rings over heating because of eddy current action. Does anyone know if other than the heating if the current carrying conductor is affected over long terms. ie years.<p>Thanks
mja54

Re: induction heating effects on conductor

Post by mja54 »

Larry - good questions. I surveyed 157 volt battery plants (telco) a number of years ago and thermal scans were always part of the survey. Parts expand and contract with temperature change which may lead to joint or connnector failure. By the way - if the EM field is strong enough to set up eddy currents I recommend leaving your wallet and credit cards locked up in your car - those magnetic stripes on credit cards don't last long around fields of that magnitude :eek: Ciao,
-------------------
Mike
http://www.willowtree.us
jason176

Re: induction heating effects on conductor

Post by jason176 »

What do you mean by secure rings? mja45 has a good point with the expansion and contraction of connections. Another thing to consider is the increased use of computers and lighting w/ ballasts which may cause you to have some harmonics on the line which may cause excessive amounts of current on the neutral. :confused: