pls help me how to check for faulty inverter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tankee

pls help me how to check for faulty inverter

Post by tankee »

pls help me in how to check for faulty inverter in a power supply......need help from experts....
a keen learner pls teach me more
jimandy

Re: pls help me how to check for faulty inverter

Post by jimandy »

Can you give us the manufacturer and model number of the unit?
"if it's not another it's one thing."
tankee

Post by tankee »

i am not sure about the models i just wish to know like if an error occurs regarding a inverter spoilt how can i check it out? how to test from a system? u understand wat i meant? i hope u can understand wat i mean.
terri

Post by terri »

As a start, we need to know:<p>(1) symptoms (what "error" occured?)
(2) input voltage
(3) input frequency ( DC or line frequency?)
(3a) inverter operating frequency
(4) output voltage
(5) output frequency ( DC or other frequency?)
(6) power rating (power level of the inverter)
(7) where in this X-Ray device is this inverter used?
(8) what testing have you done so far?
(9) what testing equipment do you have?
(10) HAVE YOU EVER WORKED WITH HIGH VOLTAGE?<p>[ March 20, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

re: private message, same subject:<p>As terri says, we need more info.<p>Some tests for non-experts - If load is okay (works with a different power source), and inverter has no output, then inverter MAY BE broken (spoilt?)(("faulty" or "has failed" better words)).<p>If fuse or circuit breaker is good, and still no output, then inverter has a fault.<p>If fuse is blown, or circuit breaker tripped; replace fuse, or reset breaker. If inverter now works, a temporary over load or surge happened, job done.<p>If new fuse blows quickly, or circuit breaker trips again, the inverter really is faulty. Find a technician to fix it! From your question it seems you don't have any high voltage experience.<p>About IGBTs - I've never worked with them, but from name Isolated/(Insulated) Gate Bipolar Transistor, and from symbol; they must be a power NPN or PNP transistor and a FET in a kind of darlington configuration, in one package.<p>Someone here could say how to test them, but if you don't know how to check the rest of the circuit then a new one would also go bad the next time the inverter is powered up.<p>Cheers,<p>[ March 21, 2005: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
tankee

Post by tankee »

u r right,i just join a new company dealing with X-rays.....C.T and ultra-sound.....all my senior are very skillfull in troubleshooting....<p>bt 1 problem ...they never want to teach juniors...they afraid i might over take them...so i was left helplessly.....til i happen to found this forum by accident....u guys become my teachers /lecturer..thanks guys...can i trouble u all nxt time if i hv any technical problems????
jwax

Post by jwax »

learner- safety first! We assume you have basic technical skills, and specifically including high voltage, radiation, and shielding! The hazards of your occupation are many and varied, so be careful and this forum will help as much as possible! :D
WA2RBA
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

jwax,<p>What does the inverter do in Learner's power supply? Why is it necessary? I have been hearing the word "inverter" for alot of different applications lately. <p>Recently I overheard a guy say that he has an "invertor" on his car DVD player that allows him to plug in his laptop to it, I'm still tring to figure out how an "inverter" would do that.
tankee

Post by tankee »

jwax,<p>for what i know inverter just to invert dc to ac that all.....but why do some inverter unit has IGBT device in it??? how actually do inverter n IGBT works hand in hand........???? u know about this???
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Yes, an inverter is a device to convert DC to AC but in your case I suspect it is not the simpler automotive device many of us are more familiar with. (12VDC in, 110V/60hz output)<p>To begin you need to know the input voltage and current requirements and the output voltage amplitude, max current and frequency.<p>Most inverter use a switch like a FET, IGBT or SCR etc to switch the input DC to the output usually through a transformer to step up the voltage. The choice of the kind of switch is based on current requirements, voltage breakdown limits and switching speed required (and price). There will also be circuitry associated with driving these switches which may include feedback for regulation.<p>I would guess that one would choose an IGBT when one wanted a high impedance input of a FET and the fast recovery time of a bipolar.<p>Normally you will need an oscilloscope to inspect the compliance of the waveform shape both with and without a load. Take precaution and use proper probe if it is high voltage.<p>If CT is Curve Tracing, I can help you extensively. email me directly for advice on that topic.<p>If you are new there don't worry. Do what is asked of you and ask questions about what they are doing but do not ask them to go out of their way to teach you. Get them to brag about their knowledge and you will absorb it quickly. Passive learning while they watch, active learning when they do not. Find an area where your lab is weak and specialize there, you will probably get more support.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Methinks that he is involved with higher level medical technology equipment, in which
case that Curve Tracer……CT would be Computer Tomography..Cat Scan…as in :
;) ;)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Thanks Ed. I thought of that a little later but you beat me to it. How narrow I can see sometimes when I read into a post. learner threw me curve (pun) when he said he worked for a company rather than a hospital or clinic.
tankee

Post by tankee »

.ok....haklesup ...shld i said.....input vdc goes in a inverter...output as Vac....later in to a IGBT(switch) Vac passes tro a transformer n step up the Vac?.did i got it right?????pls help
terri

Post by terri »

My Brooklyn "Street Paranoia" suggests that maybe we're being strung along. I note that 01 Apr is approaching.<p>I am of a most helpful nature, having been in situations where I needed outside help to solve a problem thrust upon me, but this constant feeding of non-information and garbled-de-gook sure sounds like it's time for the forum members to review the situation in that light.<p>I personally would love to help, learner, but unless hard, firm, coherent, no-nonsense information is forthcoming, I for one am not going to deal with this question, and haven't since my initial point-by-point request for more data.<p>For information on how this "stringing along" can be accomplished, see the below link (Dogpile is my preferred search engine). Some of these, where the "scamee" scams the scammer, are delightful.<p>http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/searc ... Bscam%2522<p>Also sprach Terri<p>[ March 22, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
tankee

Post by tankee »

i might not understand what u said???properly....bt pls pardon me as i am new in this medical industry....n is my 1st job....is not a joke...is a true life story my fren...happen on me...u always ask me to give u a logical ques.....if i know i couldnt ask u.....i know you are a very knowledge person..bt pls dont put that arrogant on me....